Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:18 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Install Error

Michael

Anonymous
After running install.php I get the following answer

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DEC, expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /var/www/geeklog/config.php on line 75

I have tried everything I know.

I can't seem to fix this.

Dirk had offered some help but I think I completely hosed my site. So I just started over. I dumped the Mysql database and began again.

My server uses "/var/www/html" as the webroot. I put the geeklog directory in "/var/www/"
I then copied the "/var/www/geeklog/" Path_html directory into "/var/www/html/".

I think my error is in the path section of the config php
this is what I have there
Text Formatted Code
// +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
// | (2) Paths                                                                 |
// +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

// Note for Windows users: It's safe to use the forward slash '/' instead of
// the backslash '\' in paths. Make sure each path starts with a drive letter!

// This should point to the directory where your config.php file resides.
$_CONF['path']            = '/var/www/geeklog/'; // should end in a slash

// You only need to change this if you moved or renamed the public_html
// directory. In that case, you should specify the complete path to the
// directory (i.e. without the $_CONF['path']) like this:
// $_CONF['path_html']      = '/var/www/html/';
$_CONF['path_html']         = '/var/www/html/';

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robin

Forum User
If this is actually the path:
/var/www/html/
And you want to do an extra directory called geeklog, you should make the directoy under html.
So it would look like this:
/var/www/html/geeklog/
Then you would need to copy all GL files and dirs into this directory . Also copy the content of GL public_html directory.
Then the path to your public_htm would be:
$_CONF['path_html'] = '/var/www/html/geeklog/';

Hope this helps
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Michael

Anonymous
It is not that I want to have the /geeklog directory anywhere special. This is my first install and I was just following directions.

The path to the web root directory. You will find this in the PHP settings list in the Apache section where it is called DOCUMENT_ROOT. This is the directory in which your web home page (index.html) resides. Unfortunately, this directory is referred to several different ways. Geeklog refers to it as the 'public_html' directory. For this tutorial we will call it the web root directory. A couple of paths that are commonly used on Linux servers are '/usr/var/public_html/' and '/var/www/html/'. (Tutorial example: /home/myweb/www)

The path to the Geeklog directory. You will position the directory that conatins most of the Geeklog software in the directory which is one level above your web root directory. To obtain this path, simply delete one directory from the end of the path you recorded in step E above. (Example: /home/myweb)

I still have not been able to fix this.

Robin

Forum User
Are you able to see the Step 1 of the installation?
At the bottom there is a hint. A path to geeklog.
What does it say? Or even better post a link to install script unless you're installing it locally.

Michael

Anonymous
Yes I can get to step one. I have the correct path to my config.php file. I am getting the following error.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DEC, expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /var/www/geeklog/config.php on line 75

I have tried everything I can to fix that line in the config.php file but nothing seems to work.

To start from the begining in summary:

I installed geeklog and everything went just fine. I was able to see the site and everything. I ran into a problem with the location of the "images" directory that geeklog was writing the image files to. Dirk suggested I move the /geeklog/public_html/ directory to my web root directory. When I did this I think I must have overwritten the index.php file or something because after that move I could no longer see anything at all from my url.

I decided to just reinstall because I had a slightly better understanding of the path variables located in the config. php file.

Now I can't seem to get past this first step in the install process.

Robin

Forum User
If you're really desperate (and sounds like U R) I can take a look at your install.
If so, mail me all important details regarding your account and stuff, and I'll try to solve your problem.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:18 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content