Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 06:01 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Language files

Euan

Forum User
I was wondering what the format is going to be for language files in GL2?

A couple of random thoughts: squirrelmail and lots of other apps use a folder, with the language files for each language/locale in separate folders... so you have

language/
language/ja_JP
language/en_GB
language/en_US

etc etc. Is this what you're planning? I was wondering how this would work when you have eg. Japanese in EUC, SJIS, UTF8, and other encodings unless everything is in unicode. The reason I started thinking about folders was because at the moment, everything is in one large file. If you want to edit, say, just a couple of menu items, it takes ages to find them. If the common items (eg the menu bar, block titles, etc) were separated out into separate files, it would be much easier for admins to edit them, and to maintain their own changes across updates.

eg. if you have different titles for the menu, and the menu items are in the language/ja_JP/menu_items.php file, then it is easy to compare with a new menu_items.php file and keep your changes when upgrading. (Obviously, there are problems defining what is to be included in each file, but as an idea...)

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
A format to the one you suggest is what the plan is. In fact much of the translation code that exists was borrowed in concept from gettext. The actual format of the files will be XML (most likely)...but don't fret, we plan on providing a user inteface for handling translations so you don't have to edit files anymore.

--Tony
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Euan

Forum User
Thanks Tony, sounds good.

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

lokki

Forum User
Chatty
Hi, I wanted to make a feature suggestion. I think it will make translation easier
1. Translate whole phrases and not parts of them, it's rather difficult to find exact translation for a phrase if it is in parts for some languages.
2. Have comments added to each entry explaining where exactly it is used, 'cause in some languages the translation depends on a context, gender, etc. And one word "blah" sometimes isn't enought to guess what it means in certain context.
Thanks

ukung

Forum User
Big Celebration

aleemkhan

Forum User
freakingout
Is it possible to remove all references to the language files.

In other words, if it's unilingual, modify the code in such a way that there would be no need for multiple languages.
Geeklog is the best. ------ Yes, I know. I should change my name to conehead. :-)

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:01 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content