Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 11:07 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Search Timeouts in template.class.php

cboyer

Forum User
Hi folks,

I have a GL with ~4500 entries, which were batch imported directly in MySQL with PERL. Everything went well, except now when GL tries to perform a search, it times out with the following error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /htdocs/geeklog/system/classes/template.class.php on line 578

Any clue where to change this, or preferably, speed up searching? Until GL crossed the 3000 entry level, everything was fine -- searching took ~5 seconds, which is quite reasonable for a large table like this. But, I seem to have crossed a threshold.

Ideas?

cboyer

Forum User
Interestingly, it is only some of the searches. I did ten successive searches this morning, timed out on four of them, and was surprised to see that six ran from 4 - 8 seconds. I was searching for terms that I *knew* were in the DB, and wonder if there is a weakness in searching for words that aren't actually in there?

I also wrote a Perl script to perform searching, and had few if any problems. Everything was less than ten seconds, which one would expect for MySQL parsing through ~10 MB of information on a 2.5G machine with 1GB of RAM available. The rest of the server, BTW, quietly hums at less than 2% CPU, so it is not running dry from a hardware standpoint.

Methinks it may be related to the GL search algorithm, but I will certainly allow for MySQL to be the cause as well.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers.
Charles

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:07 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content