Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 07:43 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Integrating several plugin pages?

Jefficus

Forum User
Chatty
Okay. I've set up a few different "projects" on my site. For each project I have a news/story Topic defined. I have a forum set up. I have (for some of them) a filemgmt area. Maybe I have an FAQ and a Mantis bug tracking area for some as well.

Right now, I group these rather awkwardly by having a Project Foo: News, Project Foo: Forum, Project Foo: Bug Reports (etc) in my custom menu.

The next step would be to create a custom, static page that provides a central switchboard to all the sub-pages under a given project.

What I'd *LIKE* to do is have a page that shows news and forum activity, as well as having links to things like bug reports and FAQ. And then I could just have Project Foo as my single menu entry for that page.

Do I have to set this up as a static page, or has somebody put together a nifty plugin that allows me to create such sub-page bundles more elegantly?
This has been an opinion, brought to you by the fine people at Jefficus World.

Blaine

Forum User
Have you seen what I've done with glMenu?

You could easily create project based menus that have links to each plugin specific page.

Other wise your talking about a custom block not really a plugin as I see it or just a custom php script that uses COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter to wrap GL around it and provide the intergration.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Jefficus

Forum User
Chatty
I have seen your glMenu stuff. They're very well done and would solve my problem to a degree. Unfortunately, I am now an under-funded grad student which puts Milonic menus out of my consideration. I've got a project coming up that may get a small budget for stuff like that, so I'll be able to try it then. But for my site, glMenu doesn't fit.

Other wise your talking about a custom block not really a plugin as I see it or just a custom php script that uses COM_siteHeader and COM_siteFooter to wrap GL around it and provide the intergration.

I agree that the easiest way to get what I want is to write some custom stuff. But on a site that intends to have 20 or 30 such projects, I'm looking a little further ahead. A plugin that allows you to build centerblock pages by referencing existing blocks and static page links would be very cool - at least so far as I understand the GL architecture. However, 6 days ago I had never even heard of GeekLog, so I don't pretend that I fully get it yet. Hence my posting this question to see if anybody has gone there before me.

Blaine

Forum User
Yep, I understand but I've not seen such a contributed component.

I've also developed a project Mgmt plugin for a client that integrated project mgmt, task mgmt, task delegation and notificaion, forum, filemgmt, security, reporting, gantt charting etc. But you don't want to hear that and it's not going to be contributed component unfortunately.

I'm glad you discovered GL and it's a great framework to develop apps for. It would not be too hard to hack out a quick script to integrate the other plugins. It's one thing to make a single purpose script and quite another to make a plugin that is good enough and flexible for general distribution.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Jefficus

Forum User
Chatty
I don't blame you for keeping the more labor-intensive tools as commercial products. I've been there. :-)

In fact, I'm glad I found GL too. I've spent the last 20 years writing very well known software systems. I would bet dollars to donuts that your life has already been touched by my work.

So I'm very much looking forward to diving into the details and building some plugins. Obviously, my research comes first. But as it happens, there is some very interesting overlap potential between my research and the needs of a system like GL. Stay tuned to my blathering to see if any fruit comes of this.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:43 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content