Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, March 18 2024 @ 10:19 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

No big files

Euan

Forum User
Tony,

Would it be possible to request that GL2 does not have any huge files like lib-common.php in version 1? This is usually a problem for me - often text editors either can't open or corrupt such large files, and it should be possible to separate out functions into logical groups and put them in separate files as with lib-security, lib-custom etc.

Cheers,

Euan.

-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

ciprian

Forum User
Hi
i agree with euan
nice comment keep the work
www.astroclaire.com

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
GL2 is using a Model-View-Controller based paradigm (see MVCnPHP). This architecture will ensure only the libraries and code needed to process the current request gets loaded and only when needed.

There has been talk on the developer channels of looking at breaking up lib-common.php in more libraries. The one getting the biggest momentum is possibly creating lib-html.php which would have all the HTML widgets from lib-common.php. Doing this is fairly trivial but time consuming because we'd have to move those function out of lib-common.php and change the COM_ to HTML_ in all the code that references them. Not impossible but a lot of work to say the least. Doing this we'd also have to find a way to provide backwards compatibilty to plugins (probably done with simple wrapper functions using the old COM_ names that call their HTML_ replacement).

More to come I'm sure...
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Euan

Forum User
Yup, lib-html makes the most sense to me too. Although, I appreciate that it would be hassle to do this in 1.3 - I was more thinking of GL2.

I've heard of and now seen the MVCnPHP - yes, this makes the comment pretty redundant, doesn't it.

Just an idea, but backward compatibility could be achieved with a separate file with the function redirects, kept until the plugins are considered suitably updated. By policy, set a release where it will no longer be included, and request all plugins be updated by then. Might stimulate some plugin updates too.

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
We'll look at backwards compatibility once the API is done and GL2 is in beta. We are making no promises though as we don't want to continue some back practices in the current system in GL2. Odds are the new features and the way GL2 will be handling security will be different enough to pretty much break that compatibility.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:19 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content