Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Making steady progress...

Don

Anonymous
I've knocked down all the problems I had earlier - SQL errors are gone, I was able to log in as Admin and then later able to change Admin settings.

I fixed the path in lib-common.php and it seemed to fix the mail problem. The remaining problem I have left is that when I try to sign up a user account, the page does not refresh and no email is sent.

So I guess the mail problem isn't totally knocked, but i'm not getting error messages any more. I'm open to suggestions as to what could be causing this final problem.

The URL for my blog is http://www.blah3.com, if anyone wants to look.

-Don

Baleful

Forum User
I looked at it, hit Refresh and you get the following:

Error

The username or email address provided already exists

And about 10 minutes later still have not received the E-mail...

Just providing feedback, wish I could help you more
.:Let the Madness ensue:.

Don

Anonymous
I appreciate the feedback.

I checked the database - all the info is being entered, and as far as I can tell that's all good.

The problem is that it's supposed to refresh to some sort of success page, which I assume also sends the email out to the user. Neither one of those is happening.

Can anyone tell me where that turns up, and in which library file? I'm assuming it's lib-common.php, since I got the error messages to stop by tweaking that one.

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated. I've got 20 people waiting for passwords already!

-Don

Baleful

Forum User
I'm fairly new at Geeklog, but I've used other CMS's...been switching back and forth between several for about the last 8 months...not sure how Geeklog handles it...

Geeklog doesn't seem to need a user authorization, it just sets it up and send the password, so..IF Geeklog sets up the user before the E-mail is actually sent, then it would already have the password and everything set up. The only problem is that the user doesn't have their password. I'm thinking you could log on as Admin and go into Users and manually set passwords as a temporary work-around until you get it figured out.

Hope that helps.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Per default, new users will be sent their password when they register with the site. You can, however, active a user submission queue in config.php, so that new users have to be approved by an admin (just like stories). Then they only get their password once they're approved.

There have been reports of cases where the email with the password has been filtered out by spam filters. In these cases, it may help to configure Geeklog to use SMTP for sending emails instead of the default method (which uses PHP's mail function).

Also, users can always request a new password (or rather, they get an email with a link that lets them enter a new password) via the "forgot password" option. But again, that requires them to receive emails from the site in the first place ...

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Don: The problem is that it's supposed to refresh to some sort of success page, which I assume also sends the email out to the user. Neither one of those is happening.

The email is actually sent out before the refresh.

The refresh function is in lib-common.php (COM_refresh), but it's only doing a META refresh.

Anything in your error.log?

bye, Dirk

mthomas

Forum User
I know I had to switch to SMTP and turn on Authentication as I have my SMTP server locked down to prevent relaying. The PHP mail just plain didn;t work for me for what ever reason that said I didn't investigate why either so could have been a easy fix. However the advantage of routing to my SMTP server is that if the site is hacked and they use it as a spam relay it all hits my mail server which will laugh at them.

Don

Anonymous
But I just noticed (slow on the uptake here) that in my Admin menu, 'Mail Users' has an 'N/A' next to it. I click the link, and there's no 'adminmail.php!' I checked the local files and everything on my server, and it's just not there.

Guess that could be a big part of the problem right there. Is there anywhere I can grab a copy of a single page?

Thanks, Dirk. Truly appreciate the help.

-Don

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Don: But I just noticed (slow on the uptake here) that in my Admin menu, 'Mail Users' has an 'N/A' next to it.

That's normal. There simply isn't anything useful to display here (as, say, the number of stories for the "Stories" entry), hence the 'N/A'.

Quote by Don: I click the link, and there's no 'adminmail.php!' I checked the local files and everything on my server, and it's just not there.

It should be "admin/mail.php" (or is this on Windows, where it's a backslash that would have been filtered out by the forum?).

Check the admin directory on your site. It should have 15 .php files, with "mail.php" being one of them.

However, that file is not used for sending the passwords (it lets you send emails to all your users or only to certain groups of users, e.g. for a newsletter).

bye, Dirk

Don

Anonymous
Ah! Should have caught that, since I posted some code the other day and the slashes got stripped.

I saw 'mail.php' in my admin folder. You may have just solved my problem, Dirk. Thanks so much!

-Don

Baleful

Forum User
Don, got the Account password e-mail today at....3:16 PM Pacific coast time (GMT -...

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content