Quote by Janet: Related Q: does the update utility cover everything, or would I need to tweak?
You don't need no update utility to update any theme prior to 1.3.9. (anyway I believe this pack is for updating themes to 1.3.8 )
All you have to do is (I've done it and it works so far)
1. Take any of the core themes - I use Clean (beats me why )
2. Take any of older themes you like e.g. True Blue.
3. Run a file manager (e.g. Total Commander)
4. Overwrite all dirs in the old theme with the dirs from the Clean theme v. 1.3.9 except for images and sometimes theme-images dirs
5. Compare template files in layout root dirs and copy to the old theme any templates that are present in the Clean theme but not in the old theme.
6. Form images / admin in Clean theme, copy block-left.gif and block-right.gif to images / admin of the old theme.
This is the easiest way for updating of any of the older themes.
Hope this helps.
Geeklog Polish Support Team