Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 03:44 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

IP based domain troubles

AllanKEH

Anonymous
I have just been put in charge of a domain which is begging to be switched over the geeklog, however, for a variety of reasons I need to develop it before I switch the DNS over. I don't have database access on the existing account for example.

I have a new account all set up and geeklog is installed and looking good, but I can't log in. I'm having the described issue in the FAQ when I can see the user name logged in, but no admin menu. I've taken the suggested steps there, but still can't get in.

I'm all but sure my problem is that I am trying to make it work on the naked IP of the account, and that's screwing with the cookies. I'd be certain, but I have had previous "weird" issues with this server and sessions.

I tried setting up a dynamic URL through dyndns.org and changing my config.php to that domain, but no dice.

Is there an obvious place where it says that you cannot use a raw IP address with geeklog? I've searched the forums and the net to no avail.

Please help

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
In theory, cookies are defined to be used with domain names only. In practice, however, most browsers don't seem to have an issue with IP-based cookies.

I have successfully set up and used dyndns-based Geeklog sites, so if that doesn't work either, then the problem must be somewhere else.

Run through the checklist in the FAQ one more time (just in case). If you still have trouble then, you'd have to do some low-level debugging. The most likely cases being whitespace or cookies not being sent out (correctly).

Do you speak HTTP? I've found it helpful to act as a browser via telnet - watching the "raw" communication between the server and the browser, I've often been able to figure out what was going wrong.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:44 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content