Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 05:57 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

No forum in portal?

Page navigation

Mark

Anonymous
determined
1. I installed geeklog and love it but where is my forum??

2. How do I access admin on my site?

3. Is there a way to have RSS feed located not in a block left or right but as a center block or article?

Turias

Forum User
1. The forum is a plugin. Download it at PortalParts.

2. http://yoursite/admin/
Make sure you login as an admisitrator. Alternatively, there should be an admin functions block when you log in. You should be able to get to all the admin functions from there.

Mark

Anonymous
determined

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know about center blocks or topics?

What I want is to add several RSS feeds but I don't want the layout to be extremely long left and right blocks with noting in the middle. I want to be able to display some of the feeds in the middle of the page also.

Turias

Forum User
I don't know much about feeds, but could you create a static page to hold the info that you want?

Mark

Anonymous
There is no way to add an XML file to a static page that I can see. If I put the feed link in I just show the link

example:

http://rss.topix.net/rss/news/matt-drudge.xml

geKow

Forum User
You would need a rss parser script to actually show the feeds. I used RSSFeedMagic an put it on static pages. (Example)

geKow

Mark

Anonymous
Quote by geKow: You would need a rss parser script to actually show the feeds. I used RSSFeedMagic an put it on static pages. (Example)

geKow

Your site with the news feeds looks GREAT and that's what I would like to do but am not that knowledgeable to be able to do that.

If I download and install RSSFeedMagic then how do I integrate that with geeklog and what do you put in the static pages to display this?

geKow

Forum User
It's quite easy. Just download the script and place the file somewhere at your server (memorize the path (not the URL!))

Create a static page and fill in what is explained at the feedmagic page.

Text Formatted Code

Simple usage

<?php

require_once("RSSFeedMagic/RSSFeedMagic.php");
$RSSFeedMagic = &new RSSFeedMagic();
// We want to retrieve the last 5 news from php.net
$RSSFeedMagic->fetch("http://www.php.net", 5);

?>

You need to enable php for the static page

geKow

Mark

Anonymous
Quote by geKow: It's quite easy. Just download the script and place the file somewhere at your server (memorize the path (not the URL!))

Text Formatted Code

Simple usage

<?php

?>

geKow

when I enable php I have to name it something right? Does it matter what it's named and is there somewhere else this has to be put?

Mark

Anonymous
Quote by geKow: It's quite easy. Just download the script and place the file somewhere at your server (memorize the path (not the URL!))

Text Formatted Code

Simple usage

<?php

?>

geKow

RSSFeedMagic install instructions and documentation is very little. You say memorize the path and not the URL (for what?)

Here are my install instructions:

- Edit the config file to match your settings

Match my settings??

This is config.php:

define("_RSSFM_ABSOLUTE_URI_", "http://dev.izibox.isa-geek.org/RSSFeedMagic/RSSFeedMagic");
define("_DEFAULT_CACHE_ENABLED_", true); // 3 minutes
define("_DEFAULT_CACHE_EXPIRE_", 320); // 3 minutes
define("_DEFAULT_CSS_", "default.css");
define("_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR_", '/tmp');

how do I know MY settings.

geKow

Forum User
Sorry, I was a bit in a hurry and a bit unprecise Smile

here we go

• create a directory for rss feed magic (in your public_html folder) and extract everything into it

• I didn't change any of these settings. You can do that to have different defaults, but you don't need to

• memorize the path to your rssfeedmagic.php

• create a new static page

• where it says: "PHP: [do not execute PHP] Warning: PHP code in your page will be evaluated if you enable this option. Use with caution !!" select [execute PHP]

• enter the code from the example into your staticpage. WITHOUT the leading and trailing ?php tags!

• where it says "require_once ("..../rssfeedmagic.php");" enter the memorized path to that file

• This is a part of my code:
    Text Formatted Code
    require_once("/home/xdykylfj/public_html/RSSFeedMagic/RSSFeedMagic.php");

$RSSFeedMagic1 = &new RSSFeedMagic();
    $RSSFeedMagic1->setCacheLimit(600);
    $data1 = $RSSFeedMagic1->fetch("http://www.heise.de/newsticker/heise.rdf", 10);
    unset($RSSFeedMagic1);

print $data1;

If you want to add another feed to the same page, just copy that and increase all 5 numbers ($RSSFeedMagic1 > $RSSFeedMagic2)

• instead of the heise newsticker (germans leading and best computer magazine Wink ) just enter the url of the path you want and you should go

You can add html code to your static page too, but that is a different story.

geKow

icode

Forum User
This looks like something I can do now. Thank You. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Barry Vrielink

Forum User
Thanks for the information geKow. I was also looking for a RSS feeder like this. I had to change 2 more things myself:

1 - Edit the public_html/RSSFeedMagic/lib/RSSFeedMagicParser.php and change the line require_once("../RSSFeedMagic/config.inc.php"); to point to a real path (instead of ..).

2 - I had to use "return $data1;" instead of "print $data1;". If I didn't use "return" it would display very strangely. I don't know why yet (learning the PHP basics right now). But if somebody knows why please enlighten me.

icode

Forum User
Quote by Barry Vrielink: Thanks for the information geKow. I was also looking for a RSS feeder like this. I had to change 2 more things myself:

1 - Edit the public_html/RSSFeedMagic/lib/RSSFeedMagicParser.php and change the line require_once("../RSSFeedMagic/config.inc.php"); to point to a real path (instead of ..).

I also had to do this to get rid of the error but I still get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: is_a() in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/RSSFeedMagic/RSSFeedMagic.php on line 64

This is line 64 in above file:

if(is_a($result, "RSSChannel")){

Help please. Also geKow on your page do you select

Centerblock: When checked, this Static Page will be displayed as a center block on the index page.

icode

Forum User
I wrote the author and he fixed my problem. If anyone else has this problem this is how he fixed it:

is_a() is a php function that appeared with PHP 4.2.0, maybe your php version is older ?
Anyway, if you want to fix it simply replace this:

if(is_a($result, "RSSChannel")){
with:
if(get_class($result) == "rsschannel"){

icode

Forum User
My next problem is I can't seem to change the look by changing the css file. I have changed some things in the standard.css file and have tried to access it with this:

$RSSFeedMagic1->setCss("../css/standard.css");

Any help on how to access a different css file?

geKow

Forum User
He, I'm glad that it worked for you. Sorry i forgot the "../RSSFeedMagic/config.inc.php" path change. Good that you found out.

geKow

Turias

Forum User
Quote by icode: My next problem is I can't seem to change the look by changing the css file. I have changed some things in the standard.css file and have tried to access it with this:

$RSSFeedMagic1->setCss("../css/standard.css");

Any help on how to access a different css file?

The easiest way would probably to "import" the new css file in your current theme's css file. Use

@import url(url-to-new-file.css);

icode

Forum User
Quote by Turias: The easiest way would probably to "import" the new css file in your current theme's css file. Use

@import url(url-to-new-file.css);

I am not sure I understand. Can you explain?

Turias

Forum User
Put that line at the top of your style.css file in your theme, but change url-to-new-file.css to the path to a new css file with the RSSFeedMagic css definitions.

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:57 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content