Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:11 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Enhanced URL rewritten siteindex.php

Imaginate

Forum User
Chatty
I've just installed 1.3.9 and wondered if there was such a thing as ( Enhanced URL rewritten siteindex.php ) and if such a thing is nessisary to make google spiders pick up articles quicker.

Google has picked up the articles one of my geeklog sites and not the other. Neither of them uses rewritten URLs.

Would a siteindex of rewritten URLS help or is it just a matter of time and the number of weblink to my geeklog sites?... and if that is the case then what good are rewritten URLS if google picks up the old ones anyhow?

Garnet

Red Ant Digital Creativity

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Imaginate: Google has picked up the articles one of my geeklog sites and not the other. Neither of them uses rewritten URLs.

Interesting. AFAICS, Google has never picked up the article URLs on any of my sites. Then I switched to the rewritten URLs on geeklog.info and it immediately started picking them up.

I assume it did help, though, that I made the story headlines into links to the article page, like so:
Text Formatted Code
<a href="{article_url}" class="nonul">{story_title}</a>

where the "nonul" class has a text-decoration: none; rule to remove the underlines.

bye, Dirk

tampano

Forum User
Chatty
Could you please better explain me this tecnique with some "step by step" indications? :-)

Where did you transform the titles in links? In the article creation page? And how to create (and place) the class you told about? I'm not able in programming languages, so I don't know how to write and where to put a "class".

Thanks in advance

Tampano
--
Tampano
admin of http://www.tampano.com

geKow

Forum User
I would say, this is less programming, more html Smile

You need to edit the storytext.thtml and featuredstorytext.thtml of the themes you want to use. Look for a line containing "{story_title}" . Now wrap the link around this like Dirk shows.

The other thing Dirk mentioned was a way to supress the link underlining for the headline, by adding a new class into the style.css like:
.nonul {text-decoration: none;}

geKow

ScurvyDawg

Forum User
Where is {article_url} defined. I ask because all I get is the main site URL and not the articles URL. I am running a couple releases behind right now.

Is possible {article_url} is not defined in my version?

You can see it at www.scurvydawg.com the titles all point back to the main page and not their articles.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
{article_url} is a new variable in 1.3.9.

For older version you can use something like

{site_url}/article.php?story={story_id}

bye, Dirk

ScurvyDawg

Forum User
Thank you Dirk, you're the best.

Do you have a paypal donation button I could not find one on your geeklog.info site

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:11 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content