Geeklog Forums

disable persistant mysql connections

xmxffahoo

Forum User
Junior
worried
hello,

I need support.
I have the webhosting that suspended my account hosting my geeklog site ffahoo.com.

It says it caused problem to the mysql database, making it stall for 15 min. before the account ws suspended.

They say the only way to have the account unsuspended is that I disable persistant mysql connections on my scripts, i.e. geeklog.

Can this be done?

How?

Please help me.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog doesn't use persistent MySQL connections ...

bye, Dirk

xmxffahoo

Forum User
Junior
Hello Dirk,

this is a problem, the account is suspended and I need to find a solution to have it reactivated.

The fact is they had the problem with the database on the shared server.

I explained that I am running an advertising campain that is sending me 20000 unique visitors, and that could have been in my opinion the problem. In 2 days 1800 contacts/uniques visitors till now.

Is it possible it was an overload of traffic? Can this be similar to the persistant mysql connection?

Can I add a delay of mysql calls from the website so to avoid the problem occurs again? If yes, how?

Please help me to solve this problem.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
All I can say is that Geeklog sites like groklaw.net (which is slashdotted every other day) seem to be handling the load just fine, so I have to assume it's the way your hosting service has set up MySQL that is the problem here ...

The way Geeklog uses connections to MySQL should actually be pretty efficient. To quote from the mysql_connect manual page:

If a second call is made to mysql_connect() with the same arguments, no new link will be established, but instead, the link identifier of the already opened link will be returned. [...] The link to the server will be closed as soon as the execution of the script ends

bye, Dirk

xmxffahoo

Forum User
Junior
worried
hello,

I turned off the site with the config command.

the webhosting technicians have analyzed the situation and this is the last email I received:

----------------
Hello,

On the hoodom site something that is accessing hoodom_gklg1 is causing problems. It was hung for over 92 minutes and it did not die until we killed it.

Normally these are always caused by persistant mysql connections which is why we said persistant in their cases. If in the slight chance that it is
not then, you have a very bad problem with a script that is accessing the
databases. Either way there is a huge issue with the site and mysql
connections. These connections should connect and disconnect within a matter of a few seconds. They should not stay connected for this long of a period of time.

Regards,
----------

Can give you advices for suggestions for me please?

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:04 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content