Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 09:51 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Logout errors & /logs permissions

dninness

Anonymous
On logging out from my Geeklog installation, I briefly get a screen with the following information:

Warning: fopen("/path/to/my/geeklog/logs/access.log", "a") - Permission denied in /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 1626

Warning: fputs(): supplied arguement is not valid File-Handle resource in /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 1631

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php: 1626) in /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/users.php on line 688

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php: 1626) in /path/to/my/geeklog/public_html/users.php on line 690

(Note: I had to re-type these by hand, since the screen flashed by so quick all I could do was snag a screen capture..)

Also, apparantly my host (1&1) doesn't allow me to change the permissions on my /logs directory, so Geeklog can't write its logs there (a problem noted in /admin/install/check.php, too).

I'm guessing, straight off the top of my head, that at least part of the errors at the top of the page are due to the logs file...

Any ideas?

NIN

SammyJ

Anonymous
I get the same error, whats worse is it doen't actually log me out. It says "You have been succesfully logged out". But it is clear that I haven't. Looking forward to suggestions,

Sam

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by dninness: Also, apparantly my host (1&1) doesn't allow me to change the permissions on my /logs directory, so Geeklog can't write its logs there (a problem noted in /admin/install/check.php, too).

I have to doubt that. Webspace where you can't change the permissions on files / directories is pretty much worthless.

Make sure that you have changed the permissions on the logs directory and both the files in that directory. Try 775 first and if that doesn't help, try 777. All this has been discussed here ad nauseam ...

And, yes, these warnings will cause problems when login in or out.

bye, Dirk

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
I also use 1and1 hosting and you most definitely can change the permissions on your directories and files. You can do it with either FTP or with SSH. How to do both can be found in the install directions for Geeklog.

-Vinny

dninness

Anonymous
Quote by Dirk: I have to doubt that. Webspace where you can't change the permissions on files / directories is pretty much worthless.

Make sure that you have changed the permissions on the logs directory and both the files in that directory. Try 775 first and if that doesn't help, try 777. All this has been discussed here ad nauseam ...

And, yes, these warnings will cause problems when login in or out.

I will so stipulate that webspace where you can't change directory permissions is worthless. Since this is one of those free 1&1 accounts (500mb, no banners, free for three years, SSH, FTP, email, etc), you've hit the nail on the head: its worth nothing to me, as its not costing me a dime for fairly high-quality hosting. If this /logs thing is the only problem, well, I can deal with that. Wink

I can change directory permissions on every other directory in my webspace all day long. Those generally are not problems.

CHMODing the /logs directory, however, merely reverts the permissions back to 705. Grrrr. I tried to take ownership of the directory, too, and that failed as well. The /logs folder is owned by root.

Is there a way to configure geeklog to write its logs into a different dirctory, say, /public_html/logs?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by dninness: CHMODing the /logs directory, however, merely reverts the permissions back to 705. Grrrr. I tried to take ownership of the directory, too, and that failed as well. The /logs folder is owned by root.

Ah, so this may be a directory created by your hosting service. It probably contains your webserver's logfiles.

Quote by dninness: Is there a way to configure geeklog to write its logs into a different dirctory, say, /public_html/logs?

config.php:

$_CONF['path_log'] = $_CONF['path'] . 'logs/';

bye, Dirk

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
Again, this is no problem with the free 1and1 account. If you are having problems using chmod, join irc.freenode.net, #geeklog and it'll be easier to get you straightened out.

If you'd prefer help here, tell exactly the chmod command you are using, along with your value for $_CONF['path'].

-Vinny

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
I apologize. I misunderstood how you had geeklog installed. Can I suggest making a "geeklog" directory and putting all you Geeklog files in there. Or as Dirk suggested you can change the value of $_CONF['path_log'].

-Vinny

dninness

Anonymous
Quote by vinny: I apologize. I misunderstood how you had geeklog installed. Can I suggest making a "geeklog" directory and putting all you Geeklog files in there. Or as Dirk suggested you can change the value of $_CONF['path_log'].

-Vinny

Hey, guys, no sweat. Your answers have been excellent so far. Smile (BTW, I'd log onto to IRC, but boy, its been so long.. I might get addicted again..)

If I'd been thinking ahead of the curve a little, I'd have installed geeklog into a higher level directory (ie. like "/geeklog") to allow for this.

As it was, 1&1 points the webspace right to the root of your account, so you really don't have a "public_ html" directory to start with. That caused a boatload of issues, too, but I was able to repoint the URL's destination to the /public_html directory and installed Geeklog as per the install directions. That went fine after I sorted the whole destination issue.

I leery of moving everything yet again, but I suppose I could do that right now with little repercussion (its not like I have content or anything..)

I just moved everything over to /path/to/my/webspace/geeklog and repointed the URL destination to /path/to/my/webspace/geeklog/public_html

Everything else should be relative. Smile Now I gotta wait for the redirect to kick in...

Thanks for the help, guys!

dninness

Anonymous
FYI, I moved everything over, and even the /logs directory came over. I changed permissions (root was not the owner on the copy), cleared it out, and everything seems to be working ducky. Smile

Thanks again, guys. You rock!

NIN

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:51 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content