Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 05:27 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Site Structure

sweyhrich

Forum User
Junior
I have a template set up to start organizing my site (a conversion from a regular HTML site), and I need some better understanding on how GL works.

This site is for a club, and there are three categories of information that those viewing the site might want to look at. What I would like to do is have some basic info on the front page about the club, location, what they do, etc, that does not change, but at the top of that section (under the main menu stuff) have a place for late-breaking announcements (closing for weather, special events, etc).

On the page for each major category, I would like info about that category, info that could be edited or modified by the person in charge of that category (not necessarily me).

There would also be Calendar and a private members-only area with meeting minutes to download, newsletter to download, etc.

I know that a blogging system is intended for info that is constantly updated, but the user interface and web-modifability of this system is what is so attractive to me (I'd like to be able to make a change on the web from anywhere, and that's what GL would let me do).

With this in mind, is there a way that I can get GL to do this? Without having to wholly rely on static pages, that is.
Steven Weyhrich --

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by sweyhrich: Without having to wholly rely on static pages, that is.

Err, what's wrong with them? I was just about to recommend using them for the static information you mentioned.

You could have a static page as a center block on top of each topic (including the home page) and then post regular stories below them.

bye, Dirk

sweyhrich

Forum User
Junior
Quote by Dirk: You could have a static page as a center block on top of each topic (including the home page) and then post regular stories below them.

Okay, I see that better now.

So, I created a static page on the Admin page, and it contains the information that I want to appear on the main page for the site. How/where do I go to put this on that front page?
Steven Weyhrich --

Turias

Forum User
From the edit screen for the page:

Topic -> Homepage Only

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Use the center block options, just below the text edit field in the static pages editor.

Assuming, of course, you are running Geeklog 1.3.8 ...

bye, Dirk

sweyhrich

Forum User
Junior
Okay, I am running GL 1.3.8-1sr3.

I found the reason it was not showing on the front page was that I had marked it as to be put AFTER the featured story, and I had no featured story (yet). After I made it the only story on the page, the info showed up, and after I added a feature story, the story and the default static info appeared.

Thanks! I'll probably be back again later!
Steven Weyhrich --

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:27 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content