Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 02:59 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Using Geeklog Login functions for a second purpose/

usarfans

Forum User
Junior
curious
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether the functions performed by the new user/user/login scripts can be copied to be able to use them again for another area of a Geeklog site?

Here's what I would like to do. I want to start a fantasy league for the stock car racing series that I cover. I would like people to be able to sign up for the league via a web interface, and then have their sign up credentials be used to manage their team on a weekly basis, make trades, etc. I don't necessarily want them to have normal site member privileges such as publishing stories, etc. Just limited to verifying their identity before sending them to a static page.

So could the user.php function be copied and renamed to something else (like fantasy_user.php) and have it post data to a new table within SQL? Same thing with the login and password sections. Just so that I can have some verification of their identity before allowing them to make trades on their teams.

I have a separate static web page that the player will be directed to after logging in so that they can choose their teams for the upcoming race. That static page would get posted to me via emailed and I manually input the player's choices into a separate program which runs on my PC. The weekly results are produced by this separate program and I simply ftp them to my site as static pages for players to view.

Am I making any sense?

Lou
usarfans.com

remy

Forum User
Your quest will find an answer in the custom_member_info functions.
A plugin for such things and extra's will be released soon.

Cheers.

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
I think your solution is even simpler.... particularly if all users of your site are allowed to participate.

1. Edit your config.php file to disable story submission, etc...

2. Create a static page and give it read-only permissions for logged in useres, and uncheck the read permission for anonymous users.

Am I missing something? Or will this solve your problem?

usarfans

Forum User
Junior
Quote by exaurdon: I think your solution is even simpler.... particularly if all users of your site are allowed to participate.

1. Edit your config.php file to disable story submission, etc...

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try it, however I currently do allow registered users to submit stories for publication and probably want to keep that function available.

What I would like is for anybody (no pre-registration to the site required) to be able to join the fantasy league by creating an account. The account would only be for this fantasy league and nothing else. Just thought I could 'steal' some capabilities for user creation and authentication from the current Geeklog methodology, while still maintaining site logins.

Any estimates when the "custom user" deal (mentioned in previous reply) will be available? I'm willing to be a guinea pig.

In a non-related question - is there a known limit on # of stories that a Geeklog site can handle?

Thanks again,

Lou

Blaine

Forum User
It does not sounds like your in need of the custom membership feature. This was supported in 1.3.8 and for 1.3.9, I've addressed some noted bugs and now included a more simple example.

Having said that, I don't think this is what you want. You bacically want to create a custom app or plugin that uses the GL login. That is essentially what plugins are. You can then create a custom permission and only allow users with that right access to the application or even to see the menu option.

If you are a programmer - have a look at the Plugin Developers Guide.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:59 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content