Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 06:09 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

unreceived geeklog email

tallasiandude

Forum User
stupid
Hi folks,
The problem I'm having a problem is that emails sent from geeklog (such as broadcasts emails to logged-in users or new user passwords) are not being received by certain domains. Problem domains include addresses at panix.com, navisite.com and excite.com but yahoo and mit.edu addresses seem fine. I'm guessing that this is getting clobbered by aggressive spam filters, but on panix where I have a shell account, it's being handled server side since I don't see any record of the email in my local procmail logs. Here are the headers from a message that made it to yahoo:

Return-Path:
Received: from 209.197.248.40 (EHLO flash.netelan.com)
(209.197.248.40) by mta135.mail.sc5.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 13 Jan
2004 11:32:20 -0800
Received: (from apache@localhost) by flash.netelan.com (8.11.6/8.11.6)
id i0DJWp211701; Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:32:51 -0500

netelan.com is the hosting machine. I'm assuming that "from apache@localhost" is the problem (and will be for any usage of PHP mail()), but unfortunately, I don't have access to php.ini on the host machine, and even if I did, it's shared by several domains. Is there any workaround for this? Or perhaps there's another explanation for the problem I'm seeing?

Thanks for any help or insight,

-S

vegeta9870

Forum User
its probably because the e-mail address in config.php is not right, and needs to be changed to your e-mail address.
If you wish to taste the ground feel free to attack me.

tallasiandude

Forum User
Sorry for not posting the full header, I'm just doing a trial installation at this point so I didn't want any personally identifying information posted.

But to the point, the from line is ok:

To: [me]@yahoo.com
Subject: the [mydomain] Geeklog: Your Account Information
<gladmin@[mydomain].net>

So I don't think that's the problem.
Unless there are other variables that I need to set besides $_CONF['site_mail']. I originally assumed $_DB_host needed to be set, but the MySQL database host is named "localhost " and when I tried using [mydomain], geeklog couldn't access the database.

-S

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I can't offer an immediate solution, but Geeklog 1.3.9 (once it's done ...) will use PEAR's Mail class, so that you can chose whether to send email via SMTP, sendmail, or PHP's mail function.

That code is already in CVS, but it requires quite a few changes all over the place, so I don't think it's worth the effort of back-porting it to 1.3.8 ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:09 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content