Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 03:04 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Curious plugin woes

Jason Godesky

Anonymous
freakingout
The following was originally posted on the Langfamily Portal forums

I've been struggling with several of Blaine's (and other) plugins for several days, and I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. I'm running Geeklog 1.3.8 security release 3, with PHP 4.3.2 and MySQL 4.0.15. Most of the time when I get to createtopic.php in the forum, clicking "submit" or "preview" gives me a "connection close by remote server" error--but not always! Moreover, it only happens when I'm logged in, never when I'm anonymous. And it appears to be tied to which theme I'm using (even though I made both themes, and they differ pretty much only in the graphics they use). In fact, on further testing, it seemed to be the actual act of changing my theme that would finally allow me to post.

With the File Manager, I've been having the same problem RPotter reported, but having gone over the installation several times already, I still cannot find the problem. The installation reported success, and all the public areas showed up perfectly, but the admin page just wasn't there.

I've been having similar problems with other plugins--the lists plugin for mailing lists overloaded the MySQL client's memory, for instance. I'm beginning to suspect there's a common cause to all my Geeklog plugin woes, but I haven't the foggiest notion what it might be. Blaine, or anyone else, can anyone here help me?

Blaine

Forum User
Hum .. same post appears on mysite Wink

Rpotter never replied to my last idea about changing the default error reporting level to see if there is an error or possible cause that is not being seen.

Your problems are most likely something to do with your configuration or permissions. It's hard to say without some local debugging.

I've never seen that MySQL error before -- don't find any hits with google either.

I'd use a default theme to eliminate any possible errors related to a template - just until the cause is identified.

Succesfull Plugin Install indicates all the new database tables and permissions were setup ok.

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Jason Godesky

Anonymous
Quote by Blaine: Hum .. same post appears on mysite Wink

Sorry about going crazy with the posting there, but I'm going a little crazy trying to figure this out.

Quote by Blaine:Rpotter never replied to my last idea about changing the default error reporting level to see if there is an error or possible cause that is not being seen.

Yeah; I tried that, and it didn't come back with anything--same blank as always. I spent about 8 hours tracing this last night, and it seems to kick in somewhere in the FOR loop in lib-common.php's COM_showBlocks() function (lines 3391-3461)

Quote by Blaine:Your problems are most likely something to do with your configuration or permissions. It's hard to say without some local debugging.

I set every folder to 777 .. no change.

Quote by Blaine:I'd use a default theme to eliminate any possible errors related to a template - just until the cause is identified.

The two themes I did are basically just some changes on some colors and graphics from Smooth Blue, which was the only default theme that didn't break my forums. These two themes worked for a while, too, but now they're breaking, just like all the other default themes did.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:04 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content