Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 03:20 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Book/movie/cd rating by admin?

wteening

Forum User
Hello there,

I'm totally flabbergasted by the ease of use, features and installation of geeklog, compliments to the creators. Big Grin
I'm also pleasantly surprised by the amount of active users on the forums.

I've searched the forums for a rating/review program, but I've only seen references by people desiring one. What I'm looking for is the following:

I want to be able to add a picture, a small text and a rating (for example using a scale of five stars). The newest review should appear in a block on the frontpage and if you click the title you should be able to read the rest of the review, or at least a list with all reviews. I explicitly do -not- need a review script that allows users to vote.

Would this be difficult to code?

An alternative would be that I just create a topic for e.g. movies, but I would prefer it in a block, because I don't want to spend hours writing long texts. ;-)

Thanks for your time.

W.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Since the rating would be added by the author of the story, why not simply add it as part of the story (i.e. some image and some piece of HTML that you can copy'n'paste in every review)?

As for the block, a simple PHP function that picks the newest story by some criteria (e.g. newest from "Movies" topic or newest with "Review" in the title, or whatever) and displays it in a block shouldn't be too hard to code.

bye, Dirk

wteening

Forum User
Good idea, Dirk! I'll try and see what I can come up with. :-) It's stupid, but when I write your name in English it makes me think of Boogie Nights. ;-)

amckay

Forum User
Well, I now finally have some time to pump out some code. Just a few hours ago I released the User Pages plugin. I'll have to do some cleanup on it before moving on to something else, but that should only take a few days.

I also have some coding to do for my wife's GL site, which has to come next. Maybe a week.

Then I can finally start plugging away at my ultimate review plugin that I've talked about here several times. It will allow you to define any type of review you want, with as many questions or rating categories as you like, for each type of review.

Judging by how quickly I pumped out the upage plugin, I would be surprised if it were more than a month or two away. The review plugin I have in mind is a fair bit more complex, but should still be doable in that timeframe.

A simple one like you describe might take 2-3 days if you are already familiar with geeklog programming. Maybe twice that if not.

wteening

Forum User
sleepy
Great news! I'll be able to settle with something different until that time. :-) I'm actually too busy to even spend a day on it, so I'll just be patient. Let me hear if you need any help in testing or graphics.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:20 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content