Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:33 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

What am I doing wrong?

gramps

Forum User
confused
I have read through the docs, and double checked all the paths in my config.php, and have even did a google search for the following error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'gldtdngs@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/gldtdngs/blog/system/databases/mysql.class.php on line 108
Cannnot connect to DB server

I can't seem to be able to straighten this out for some reason. Any suggestions?

stupidtek

Anonymous
Your mysql database password is incorrect within the config.php file.
Text Formatted Code

$_DB_pass         = 'pa$$word';    // MySQL password

notes:
1. usernames and passwords are case sensitive
2. if you did not assign a user to the database you will get the error too.

gramps

Forum User
curious
I have done what you suggested, and it didn't work. I even
deleted the original database, and created a new one with new
usernames and passwords, and changed config.php to match it. That still didn't work

I get the following error:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user:
'wsloan@localhost' (Using password: YES) in
/home/gldtdngs/blog/system/databases/mysql.class.php on line 108
Cannnot connect to DB server

Line 108 reads:// Connect to MySQL server
$conn =
mysql_connect($this->_host,$this->_user,$this->_pass) or
die('Cannnot connect to DB server');

When I set up the database on my server, I get a string of code
that looks like this:

Perl $dbh =
DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:gldtdngs_truth:localhost","gldtdngs_wsloa
n","");
PHP $dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "gldtdngs_wsloan",
"") or die ('I cannot connect to the database
because: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db ("gldtdngs_truth");

Ok, I am no genius here, so correct me if I am wrong. But can I
not fix my problem by hacking line 108 to read what my server
returned to me? Say, starting with where it says PHP, I insert
$dbh_mysql_connect... into the file on line 108 in place of what
is there?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You shouldn't try hacking things. Geeklog is perfectly capable of connecting to your database, provided that the data (user name and password, db name and host) in config.php is correct.

If it's your own database (not one that your hosting service set up for you) then make sure that the database user exists and has the proper access permissions. There's a section in the installation instructions with all the information you would need.

bye, Dirk

gramps

Forum User
determined
Ok,
I have done all of that. Several times over. I keep coming back to square one. But there is nothing wrong at square one.
I guess what I need to do is contact tech suport for my hosting service and have them check out my setup. Maybe they will find what is wrong.

I will get back with you.

gramps

Forum User
stressed
Ok. I checked with tech support, and found that I did in fact have my username and password entered wrong. I was supposed to prefix the name of the database and username with the name of my account. i.e.; gldtdngs_db, gldtdngs_username.
However, now I get another error message, and it reads like this:
PHP Warning: fopen(/home/gldtdngs/blog/logs/error.log): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/gldtdngs/public_html/truth/public_html/lib-common.php on line 1588

What is this telling me?

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
That error message is telling you that PHP does not have permission to write to the log file. Check your directory permission (I think the geeklog docs detail which directories need to be set for write access.) You'll need to chmod/chown the logs directory to provide access to the php user.

Alex~

gramps

Forum User
After nearly 4 days of struggling with your script, I finally solved my problem. I deleted the whole thing off my server. Yesterday, I made 47 attempts to get this script to work. I got all kinds of error messages. When I would fix one problem, I would get another error message on the next attempt. Two in particular I would get was the one, "Xsilver is not a valid directory" and the one that told me I had permissions set wrong. I would modify the path to public_html, then my permissions were wrong. I would reset my permissions, then my path would be wrong. Back and forth, forth and back.
I could not tell you what was wrong. If I could I would have fixed it. I deleted it from the server, and installed PHPbb in it's place very easily. In less than ten minutes, with very little configuration, PHPbb was up and running.
I do want to say that I really liked what I saw in the Geeklog script. I liked the rss feed. Every place I went to that was running the script made me think that Geeklog was the script I wanted.
PHPbb was second best for me. But at least I could get it to work with no headaches.
I still have the Geeklog tarball on my computer. I would still like to use it.
Could you explain to me why Geeklog was such a headache, and PHPbb was so painless? I really want to know what the problem was. I would still like to use Geeklog.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by gramps: Could you explain to me why Geeklog was such a headache, and PHPbb was so painless? I really want to know what the problem was. I would still like to use Geeklog.

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time.

In my experience, when people start getting errors, they are sometimes trying to fix things on their own and make things worse. If you follow the installation instructions precisely (and assuming you know some basic things such as what your paths are and how to do a chmod), a Geeklog site should be up and running within a few minutes.

If you're running into trouble, read the error message carefully and try to understand it. People often look for the problem in the wrong file, for example, because they misread the error message. The most common problems are listed in a separate section in the installation instructions - those should cover all the problems people usually run into.

bye, Dirk

max

Anonymous
i dont know how this happened, i never edited the files, but i received errors because i had spaces or blanke lines after the php scripts closing, might want ot check that.

gramps

Forum User
I'm back at it again for another try. But now I get a completely different error message that I don't find in the docs or in the forum. It reads like this:

Warning: main(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/path/to/geeklog/config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/gldtdngs:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/gldtdngs/public_html/truth/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/config.php): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/gldtdngs/public_html/truth/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gldtdngs/public_html/truth/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
Warning: main(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/path/to/geeklog/config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/gldtdngs:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/gldtdngs/public_html/truth/public_html/lib-common.php on line 69

You have not edited your lib-common.php file in your geeklog public_html directory.

(Step 6 of the installation instructions)
(Step 6 of the installation instructions)

It is looking for config.php in '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' You must change line 69, the one where it says require_once( blah blah config.php) to be an absolute or relative path to your config.php dir

dgrosvold

Forum User
angry
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who read binary, and those who don't.

Perhaps you should learn to read binary. Or at least try using an original tag line. Rolling Eyes

Dave Grosvold - Greenwood, AR

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:33 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content