Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 09:51 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog Blogs Getting SPAMMED

g3cko

Forum User
I installed the referrer logging module that from *censored*ingbrit.com and I check the refferers once a day, and I saw a REALLY strange request today. Someone google searched for the following: "url" "post a comment" -remember -personal –info. I thought whatever, but later on today, I see the following comment on my page:

Great discussion. I thought I would share these links as well.
Phentermine Now,
Debt Smart, and
Credit Report

So I go back to that google search, and start visiting some of the sites, and it seems that particularly the geeklog ones have been hit with random spam links.

Sample ones:
http://wanna.homeunix.com:8080/geeklog/public_html/article.php?story=2003100523050145#comments http://www.nerdzone.ca/article.php?story=2003102003273776#comments

g3cko

Forum User
i should add.. that since i posted.. i checked the logs... the dudes IP is 208.63.160.53, and i say, "dude" b/c theres NO way its a bot.. 3 minutes total to complete a post on my site...

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Well, I'm not sure where to begin. We do have the speed limit feature which would prevent this method of spam from being very useful. You also have the option of turning off anonymous posts (which after 3 years on iowaoutdoors.org I had to because of anonymous flamers). If that isn't enough you could ban the IP at your firewall OR add a bit of code to GL to do this.

I guess what I am getting at is I don't see this as a major problem. Please keep an eye on this and let us know if this is a growing trend.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

g3cko

Forum User
i only had ONE on mine.. but i checked the other google results and saw they all got hit once as well.. i guess i just freaked and thought it was some automatic bot hittin them all (and that'd it'd be back poluting my blog all the time). I assume this all has something to do with google fishing....

g3cko

Forum User
well the other URL has disapeared.. and i've deleted the comment.. i'll keep an eye out for this in the future

DTrumbower

Forum User
It's a growing trend, but not because of geeklog.

Article

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:51 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content