Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 01:35 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Internal forum? (Forum 2.2 plugin)

t.bag

Anonymous
Is it possible to create an internal forum, i.e. a forum that can be accessed by the admin and the moderators but is invisible to regular forum visitors?

geKow

Forum User
Quote by t.bag: Is it possible to create an internal forum, i.e. a forum that can be accessed by the admin and the moderators but is invisible to regular forum visitors?

At least it was in the older forum version (didn't upgrade *blush*) In the properties of a forum you can set the user group wich accesses this forum.

t.bag

Anonymous
Yes, you still have this option. However, there's no Moderator User Group in the list. I guess I will just have to create a new User Group (why hadn't I thought of that earlier? First I selected the "forum Admin" group but this, of course, is something different. Hence the confusion I guess). Thanks!

geKow

Forum User
Big Grin

t.bag

Anonymous
Hmm, the only forum related rights you can set in a user group are forum.user and forum.edit. But this means that moderators would be able to not only edit/move/delete posts but also have full access to the Forum Administration Panel (=add/delete forums etc.) which I don't want.

Any ideas?

t.bag

Anonymous
Oh no, I fell for this "forum admin" thing again. Dammit.

"Forum admin" means, of course, the right to use and administer the forum including the right to add and delete forums (forum.user and forum.edit rights).

The right to moderate (= edit posts) is set by the Site Admin. Thus, a forum moderator doesn't have to be in any particular user group to be able to edit forum posts. As an Admin I can make any registered user a moderator.

But, if I want the moderators (or any other group) be the only ones with the right to access a certain forum, I have to give them the forum.user (but not the forum.edit) right.

Oh dear, it took me a long time to get this.

Sorry for this useless post, but I had to write it down so I can reread it should I get confused again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:35 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content