Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:09 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Digests via Cron

Filipino

Forum User
Chatty
Does the emailgeeklogstories respond to a cron or does it need a special syntax. The cron runs without error but nothing gets posted out.

-Wayne-

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Have you read How do I set up the Daily Digest? yet? I think it pretty much covers everything.

bye, Dirk

Filipino

Forum User
Chatty
Umm No! I did a site search yesterday and it didn't come up on the results. I have printed and read it now and it seems I have carried out everything. I will keep looking to see what else I can discover from my server logs.

Thanks

-Wayne-

Filipino

Forum User
Chatty
Dirk ... got this running and the first large digest has been delivered to myself 1012 stories Big Grin I presume now future 'subscribers' will only get a partial digest of items posted since the last digest command. -Wayne-

Filipino

Forum User
Chatty
Hi Dirk a tradady and many unhappy subscribers I set the Cron to run at 18:30 CET - every member got 1000 plus news items.<br /><br />Prior to this evening I had not set $_CONF('emailstories'Wink to 1 it was set to zero. It seems when I set it to '1' every member was flagged to receive a daily digest by default. When the Cron ran everyone received a 5 MB digest - I can see the funny side but don't think many on slow dialups will.<br /><br />I have deleted the cron for now.<br /><br />-Wayne-<br /><br />

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Check what you have in "lastemailedstories" in table gl_vars. That's the date and time the last digest was successfully sent. If it's empty or all zeros, then the digest hasn't been successfully sent yet - and all the stories will be sent again the next time the cron job runs.

This isn't really meant to send a lot of stories and/or to send them to a lot of people, since the cronjob will sooner or later hit a timeout and will not be considered completed.

You could set "lastemailedstories" to the current date and time (e.g. 2003-10-05 12:00:00) and that would mean that only stories published after that time will be sent out with the next digest.

Also, if you install the Manual Digest plugin, its entry in the Admin menu will tell you how many stories will be sent out with the next digest.

bye, Dirk

Filipino

Forum User
Chatty
Dirk your comments help a great deal and something to work from. I did use your Manual Digests on the previous setup but did not always remember to send each day wanted something automatic. I will come back to the thread when I find out what went wrong, even if it were my fault.

Late note:

Just checked gl_var

totalhits 2564628
lastemailedstories 2003-10-05 16:19:46

So from your comments it should NOT have sent everything again.

emagin

Forum User
Regular Poster
Does anyone know how to set up a scheduled task in windows to make the digests go? I've got the manual working just fine.

How do you invoke it?

Thx

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:09 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content