Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 10:49 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

I only want certain users to be able to view certain pages.

dkretz

Forum User
i want to create a family log type of site and only want certain users to be able to see certain pages. do i need subdomains so that i can password protect them? also, is there a way to force Admin's approval of new users?
i will also be using geek log to run many parts of the site for the k-8 i work for (it becomes more important here; dealing with names and images of the students, and such)

thanks!

-dkretz

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by dkretz:and only want certain users to be able to see certain pages.

That's exactly what Geeklog's permission system is for. Make them all a member of a new group, say "Family", and make sure that all the stories only members of that group should see are also assigned to that group (and that access for Anonymous and Members is disabled).

Quote by dkretz:also, is there a way to force Admin's approval of new users?

Enable the user submission queue in config.php.

bye, Dirk

ronack

Forum User
This doesn't answer the question for me. I have installed the upload.php page. Currently only admin is allowed to use it. I have changed it a bit by putting it in the upload directory and those who upload can only upload to that directory. Now I have created a group called upload and I want only those in the upload group to be able to upload a file using that page. How do I give only those in the upload group premission to use that page?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by ronack: This doesn't answer the question for me. I have installed the upload.php page.

Not sure what you're talking about - do you mean the file management plugin? That doesn't quite follow the Geeklog permissions model.

bye, Dirk

ronack

Forum User
Quote by ronack: This doesn't answer the question for me. I have installed the upload.php page.
Quote by Dirk:
Not sure what you're talking about - do you mean the file management plugin? That doesn't quite follow the Geeklog permissions model.

bye, Dirk
Actually, it's called upload.php, I'm not sure where I got it but it's just one file and it goes right into GL. Here take a look, Here

ronack

Forum User
I'm thinking that if I change line 44 from Root to Upload then that should take care of it am I correct?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That's Tom Willet's upload utility. AFAIK, it was meant as a tool for admins. Not sure if it's a good idea to make it available to other users ... You may want to ask Tom.

bye, Dirk

ronack

Forum User
It seems to work just fine, I tested by changing line 44 to upload instead of Root. Then logged in as a user not in the upload group and it gave me access violation. I then gave the user upload permission and viola it worked. So if I want to give users an area to upload say something like a banner then I can just specify the directory in the script and only users with upload premission can upload.

dkretz

Forum User
Thanks for the replies! Smile

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:49 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content