Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 01:28 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

User Static Pages again

amckay

Forum User
I\'m finally getting around to trying out users static pages as discussed in this thread, and I can\'t figure out how to give the user that control. I log into my non-privelaged account and cannot see how to add a page. I go to this URL : http://www.neap.net/admin/plugins/staticpages/index.php?mode=edit and of course it says I need admin privs. Can you be a bit more explicit with details on how this might be done? To recap, I want users to be able to create and manage their own static pages (and only their own).

Mark

Anonymous
You have to give these users staticpage priveleges first. When they create a page, they need to uncheck the edit under the Group.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by amckay:To recap, I want users to be able to create and manage their own static pages (and only their own).
That last bit (\"and only their own\") could be a bit of a problem. Static Pages weren\'t really made for this ... The steps are as follows:
  • create a new group, say \"Static Page User\"
  • give that group \"staticpage.edit\" permissions
  • assign users to this group
Possible problems are:
  • users can create new static pages - as many as they want
  • if they don\'t set their permissions properly, other users will be able to edit their pages
The problem with editing other people\'s pages is that per default, a new static page will (in this scenario) be assigned to group \"All Users\". Your users will need to change that manually to group \"Static Page User\" and they need to make sure that the \"Group E\" checkbox (i.e. giving edit access to members of the same group) is unchecked (which it is by default). To work around this problem, you could modify the static pages plugin or its template files to hide the permission settings and/or set them to the desired defaults automatically. To repeat, the static pages plugin wasn\'t really made for this, but it\'s the closest option available for what you want ... bye, Dirk

amckay

Forum User
Quote by Dirk: To work around this problem, you could modify the static pages plugin or its template files to hide the permission settings and/or set them to the desired defaults automatically.
Hmmm, yeah, I\'m thinking that perhaps the thing to do is copy index.php to something like spuser.php and hack it a bit to ensure a user can only manipulate his own pages. I definitely do not want Joe User to be able to mess with my static pages. cheers, -Alan

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by amckay:I definitely do not want Joe User to be able to mess with my static pages.
The problems outlined above only exist with pages created by members of that \"Static Page User\" group. If you as the Admin of the site create your static pages with group Root or Static Page Admin, they won\'t even see your pages. bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:28 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content