Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 05:40 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Upgrade from 1.3.7 to 1.3.8 gives blank screen trying to investigate.

Hrekum

Forum User
Hi All... I did an upgrade today to 1.3.8 but now have just a blank screen to show for it. I must have done something wrong... but here is a beakdown. Started with - Geeklog 1.3.7 with Gallery integrated. Plugins included Weather, VStats, Forums. Pre-install - I took copies of my config.php, lib-custom, lib-common, and english.php (from language dir). On install - copied files to correct places. Geeklog is installed in Public-HTML folder (adds a small complexity to the install). Copied over old info from backed up files, ran Install page. When the Success.php page was retrieved, it was blank. I looked through the forums and one chap suggested turning off all plugins. Did that and still blank. I checked file and dir permissions and they are correct. I have looked at my error logs but not convinced I am looking at the correct ones, so I am trying to find out from the ISP where all of them are. Any ideas in the meantime? Is there a logging facility (Verbose in Lib-common.php doesn\'t give me anything) that I can use to debug? Cheers Chris

Chalkhillian

Forum User
Chatty
Is there anything in error.log or access.log that could be tied to your results?

Hrekum

Forum User
Trying to find one, but this is what else I now have... I used the check.php in the admin/install dir and modified it to check a few things. What I noticed was: 1. any require_once file appears to be loading fine. However, I cannot read any $_CONF values from them. 2. If I try and require_once a non-existant file, I get a blank browser. I am chasing my ISP for error logs... I think they have a problem with the logging as the file I am looking at does not show the fatal failure (which the require_once should give with a non-existent file). btw - I am totally new to PHP, so I am winging this as I go along!

Hrekum

Forum User
happy
Somehow PHP had stopped showing any errors through the browser (ISP just fixed this but not sure how or why it happened). Now I see the errors it was a parsing error and clearly I must have done something to the lib-common.php file to corrupt it. Replacing it seems to have worked. Thanks for all the knowledge gathered on Geeklog.net and the search facility... it has been a lifesaver. Cheers! Chris Big Grin

Interested

Anonymous
In php.ini there is an entry you can set that controls what errors PHP will display. Perhaps your ISP changed this setting and now your errors are displaying. On the libcommon.php corruption, it is well known that using certain versions of Winzip can be a problem. Perhaps you did this? I had this problem. Fixed it by switching to Winrar.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:40 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content