Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 07:38 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Image Captions???

Interested

Anonymous
Just wondering if anyone has figured out a good and simple way to add captions to images. If not, would it be a very complex matter to write a hack to display image captions? Seems to me one could add a \"caption\" field to table \"gl_article_images\" that would be read with the article\'s \"ai_sid\". The \"story.php\" file would have to be modifed to allow entry of the caption text. Then would come the hard part. Rolling Eyes The caption text would have to stick with the image, say, always on the image\'s lower right. Hmmmm. How could one effect such a fantastic phpenomenon? Mr. Green

dgrosvold

Forum User
I do it using this simple chunk of HTML:
Text Formatted Code
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" align="left">
<tr><td>[image1_left]</td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">Caption -  Copyright ©: 2003 Photographer</td></tr>
</table>
I used this originally because I didn't like seeing the text bumped up against the photo with no white space, but then I added the second row as a caption. This is great for those of us who have HTML knowledge, but I have users on my site who don't. I would like to see a possible enhancement to Geeklog to do this automatically. ( I typically have to edit their stories & fix that manually at this point.)
Dave Grosvold - Greenwood, AR

Interested

Anonymous
Thanks for the reply. I haven\'t had time to look at this issue in detail. My current GL installation doesn\'t quite work well (hasn\'t for sometime because of a server software problem I have been working doggedly to solve). Besides, since I don\'t really know PHP I don\'t know what good I can be here anyway. But it seems to me image captions can be added to GL quite nicely. In a few days I will try to look at it and see if I can discover anything. In the meantime, if anyone who knows GL and php wishes to quick jump in and offer some hints and tips regarding how I might approach this problem, please do it. I\'m willing to learn and do the coding myself. So you don\'t have to worry about me nagging you. Every little bit of help helps! Mr. Green

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:38 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content