Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:19 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Keeping stories while replacing everything else with new

calimus

Forum User
confused
Ok, heres the deal. Over the many months that I\'ve been using GL (from 1.1.5 I think) I\'ve had a few things break over all the upgrades. Things like the polls, past articles block and such. I\'m currently running 1.3.7 and I would like to make the move to 1.3.8 and do mostly a fresh setup so that all the broken things are fixed, but still keep all my story data and my user data. It this possible without having to do major DB hacking (whic I\'m too dumb for) or otherwise. I know some DB stuff would have to be done. I\'m not concerned with keeping any of the old poll info or any other info other then the stories and the users. Not asking much am I? Mr. Green Anyway, any help would be great. thanks
Trying to be different, just like everyone else.

DTrumbower

Forum User
I guess that would be doable. You would want to copy the stories, comments, article_images and the five user tables. Or you could do an upgrade and delete data from the tables you want to start from scratch. If you have created new groups, then the groups would need to added. Depending on how much customization you did, it could be simple or complex.

calimus

Forum User
Hey thanks for the info, it\'s a good start. I haven\'t done any custom work so it should be pretty simple, I\'m just going to have to sort through the DB stuff and find what I need. Should prove to be fun. Thanks for the help.
Trying to be different, just like everyone else.

chief123

Forum User
Chatty
On a related note, how\'s the best way to upgrade while keeping the extensive theme modifications I\'ve done in tact? I know there are theme changes in the new version. I\'m only using the clean theme and visitors can\'t currently change to another theme. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by chief123:how\'s the best way to upgrade while keeping the extensive theme modifications I\'ve done in tact?
The files that have changed are documented. As you can see, most changes are actually new files and the others are files that are rarely customised anyway. So you could simply copy over the new (and even most of the changed) files from one of the existing themes (clean, in your case). bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:19 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content