Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 01:18 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

phplinks for Geeklog

squatty

Forum User
I'm pleased to announce the "official" 1.0 release of phplinks for Geeklog. This release falls somewhere between a plugin and a “hack”. Regardless of what you call it, it works and it works well! You can download the package from my downloads section (located in the Geeklog Hacks category).

The phplinks package includes the following:

• Fully wrapped (right/left blocks) phplinks pages
  • Top phpinks block – displays your top 5 active links
  • Integration of GL user attributes for link submission and reviews
  • Modified What's New block to account for new links added via phplinks
  • Updates to GL search logic to query phplinks
  • Changes to stats page to account for phplinks and top 10 phplinks (both counts & hits)
  • Updates to GL admin block to account for new submissions
  • Updates to GL admin interface to approve/delete link submissions (yes…the existing edit, approval, and delete process still works!!)
  • Integration of GL's security to protect phplinks admin pages
  • Fully integrated phplinks admin interface
  • You can see the finished product on my site or by visiting Goddammit.co.uk. Both of us have made the switch. In addition, you can get a feel for what the integrated admin interface looks like from the screenshots listed below:

• Links Manager
  • Configuration Manager
  • Category Manager
  • Sites Manager
  • Link Submissions

• In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Squatty First of all can I congratulate you on the phplinks for geeklog hack/plugin - excellent work that I am sure many will use. I am just about to install and thought that I better check before I start - I am sure that I cannot be the only person using phpLinks who does not wish to have to retype in all my links as suggested in your readme file (unless I am mistaken). I currently have 300 plus links, but I am sure that some will have many more than this and the thought of typing them in (again - having spent the past week typing them in while transfering from flat html pages) would prevent me using phpLinks for geeklog. I note that the installation adds new tables within the geeklog database, which appear to relate exactly to the original phplinks tables with the addition of gl_pl to the table name (I assume so that geeklog recognises them?). Has anything changed in the content of these tables or just a name change? If only the name has changed, you may wish to add to your instructions to export the content of the tables in the original installation of phpLinks to a .csv file using phpMyAdmin (or equivalent) then importing this into the new tables created in the geeklog database (I am assuming this is possible, but have extremely limited knowledge of php, MySQL or programming therefore would appreciate confirmation before I get started). Also, on goddamit.co.uk, I notice that when you change the theme, it changes for thecomplet site including the phplinks section, but then when you click on any links within the phplinks central block, the site reverts back to the original theme. Is this a quirk in the set up on goddamit.co.uk or with the phplinks for geeklog? Many thanks for your thoughts - keep up the good work! Glenn

Anonymous

Anonymous
    My current implementation does not include a "data conversion" script. I originally planned to create one but, quickly realized that the complexity involved was outside my skill set :-) Anyone want to take this on? As for your database question: >>Has anything changed in the content of these tables or just a name change? No, nothing has changed from a data model perspective. I simply renamed the tables to include the default GL db prefix "gl_" and added an additional pl in front of the table name. I made these updates to stay consistent with the GL naming convention and to avoid table naming collisions. If you are currently running phplinks, simply rename your tables (as stated in the README) and add the required code to lib-database.php. That should be it! In regards to the theme issue on: >>Is this a quirk in the set up on goddamit.co.uk or with the phplinks for geeklog? No, this is not a "quirk" it's by design..kind of. The issue here is that the theme tester does not actually update the user theme (gl_user.theme) column in the gl_user table until you select “Use Permanently”. My phplinks code looks for this value and then displays the associated GL theme. If you change/save your theme using the theme tester or via the display preference you will notice that phplinks matches accordingly.

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Thanks Squatty! Working on http://euans.net/ with no problem. Installation went like a dream too (may that's because this time I read the instructions). Fitted in 700+ links and 70+ categories in just a moment. All you need to do is 1) make a new DB from the template 2) export your old db (data only is fine) 3) insert the category and link tables 4) done! Euan.

squatty

Forum User
    I found two small bugs that I will fix shortly: 1) From the admin menu - the "main" link was not working. It was just phplinks/admin and not /admin/index.php. This won't be an issue for sites that use .htaccess to redirect to index.php. 2) Search page has a broken <table> tag. The page will not display your right blocks correctly.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Anonymous

Anonymous
    The download link does not work

Euan

Forum User
    I've put it on euans.net if you need it. Otherwise it should be on squatty.com I think.
    -- Heather Engineering
    -- No job too small

squatty

Forum User
    You can grab it from here: http://www.squatty.com/mod_docmgmt/singlefile.php?lid=7
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:18 pm.

• Normal Topic
    • Sticky Topic
    • Locked Topic
    • New Post
    • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    • Locked Topic W/ New Post
    •  View Anonymous Posts
    •  Able to post
    •  Filtered HTML Allowed
    •  Censored Content