Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 11:13 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Story Submission Enhancement

knuckles

Forum User
Chatty
The following is a hack I made for the office I work in. Good people that have zero html knowledge but are required to add hyperlinks in their posts along with other tags they are completely unaware of.

The following patch will extend your Story Editor's capabilities by using the most basic javascript code to augment the interaction between you and the textarea. I have tried it on the Mac, PC and Linux with just about any browser I could find. It seems stable.

UPDATE: I have had a request to add a replacement for the Static Page as well, the downloads have been updated to include the new Static Page submission enhancements. Just redownload the files and read the README.You can download the files here or go test it on my wife's site here.

A word of caution, when testing it please pay attention to two things: (1) You need to add a "title" to your story or you won't see your preview (2) Make sure the "Post Mode" is set to HTML.

Have fun,
knuckles

PS: If you're having problems with the .tgz file then download this Mac and PC friendlier .zip format.

jlhughes

Forum User
Love the demo. I'd like to add this to one of my Geeklog sites. However, after I download geeklog-submission.tgz Winzip reports: "The archive does not contain complete filename information, so WinZip cannot determine the full filename of the compressed file. Replace all or some of the suggested filename with the corrected name and press OK." Normally I don't have any problems with gz files, but Winzip does strange things to the contents of this file. Can you provide another version of the source files? TIA, John Hughes

Anonymous

Anonymous
Nice, but I see lots of rubbish included when previewing from a Japanese OS Windows 2000 computer. Lots of little boxes appear... particularly with the lists. Although the basic structure is correct. Ah, those annoying people with odd operating systems... good job though. It would be very nice to see something like this included in the standard editor for Geeklog. You guys making this thing still get to sleep at night? Euan.

krove

Forum User
Junior
This is sweet!!! I love it. I use my GeekLog as the company intranet, and this should help those employees who post to it. Thanks a lot!

MLimburg

Forum User
Chatty
You've done a Very Good Thing. I'm very impressed dude.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

efarmboy

Forum User
Very Nice Simon and thanks for the contribution. I saw the licencing notice and support agreement. My lawyers are still reviewing it Wink It would be nice for GL to have an integrated editor that provided the same level of format control + group level control of image upload not just via URL reference. Additionally, seamlessly displaying the formating without the HTML tags would widen the audience usage and ability for non-semi-technical users to create richer formated stories. Are you able to make any comments on GL's future feature plans to support this capability? Cheers, Blaine

etegration

Forum User
What are all the .DS_Store files? do they need to be included onto the server in oder for this to work? The static pages seems buggy after i install this. regards
http://www.etegration.com.sg
http://www.itcow.com
http://www.ministryofhosting.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You can safely delete the .DS_Store files. knuckles uses MacOS X which keeps these files in every directory to store Mac specific data. They shouldn't really be in the tarball ... bye, Dirk

knuckles

Forum User
Chatty
Oops, I goofed. The included Static Page fix which incorporates the enhancement editor is using the wrong variable. Both the member and admin submission pages use the word "introtext" to identify the textarea. The problem is that the Static Pages uses the word "sp_content" to identify the name of it's textarea. So, open the "editor.thtml" file in either of the archives and do the following: Replace —> introtext With the word —> sp_content Done. Easy fix. PS: this will replace about 12 occurrences. Knuckles

Anonymous

Anonymous
I love this. Only have one negative comment. I can not save any staticpages. The Story submission works fine but, when I try to save a static page it does not save. any ideas??

knuckles

Forum User
Chatty
Well, if I think you're having the same problem I was then do what I posted above. Basically it's a textarea variable name that needs changing. If you can't save *anything* (ie the Save button is missing) then you've somehow mixed up some older files with the latest release of geeklog. The button names are now in the language file and so your buttons may appear with no names if the pages are old. Get the updates from CVS is this is the case. Knuckles

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hello,

I have a problem, the static page editor works fine, the story editor not, wen I press the submit/ preview buton i takes me back to the listed story's, I use gl v1.3.6 and IE 5.1.5 on mac os 9.4

can you help ?

Thank you very much !

http://www.unternehmenlichtblick.de/licht/public/

Anonymous

Anonymous
Is it maybe related to the language file ? I use german...

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Please don't post your problems to unrelated topics ...

The problem you're experiencing has been discussed here before - see this story for an example.

bye, Dirk

P.S. Since you're German - Have you visited geeklog.info yet?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hello again, If you need story submission for other languages than english (german!) you need to change the code from storyeditor.thtml wich goes in the admin directory: open the file in your code editor and replace: -------------- <input type="submit" value="save" name=mode> <input type="submit" value="preview" name="mode"> <input type="submit" value="cancel" name="mode"> -------------- with: -------------- <input type="submit" value="{lang_save}" name="mode"> <input type="submit" value="{lang_preview}" name="mode"> <input type="submit" value="{lang_cancel}" name="mode"> --------------

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:13 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content