Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 01:29 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Help with HTMLAREA

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have downloaded and installed HTMLAREA for Geeklog as per the instructions given on two themes "clean" and "smooth blue". I am running IE 6 on windows XP. Alas no matter what I do the WSIWYG editor never appears. Has anyone experienced the same thing. Any help or suggestion would be most appreciated Thanks Mark

GPaul

Forum User
Mark, I am using HTMLarea on three of my web sites and one of my clients sites without problems. What is your address? I can take a look to see if I can see anything, if you would like. You can take a look at http://www.thehelpgeeks.com to see it working and to test your browser. I am in the process of testing the beta that works with Netscape or Mozilla, but that site is on the net. G.Paul---g.paul
g.paul

Anonymous

Anonymous
I tried your site and went to the "get published" area using explorer 6.0 . All I get are textarea boxes. The WSIWYG editor does not show. I am curious as to whether I have to be logged in to your site to view the editor. If I don't then maybe this is a peculiarilty to IE 6.02800.1106.xpxp2.0303422-1633 The HTMLAREA editor does show up when I look at the supplied example or on the interactivetools.com site. I don't have a site up but am working on my local machine with windows xp , apache 1.3 and php 4.31. Still Perplexed ??? Thanks Mark

jlhughes

Forum User
Check your javascript setting and your "privacy" setting for cookies. HTMLarea has to recognize your browser is capable of working with it. I visit the www.thehelpgeeks.com and the HTMLarea WYSIWYG looked as expected.

Anonymous

Anonymous
This is totally strange. Javascript is enabled as I can view the editor when I look at the interactivetools.com site . I can see the editor. When I go your site under "get published " however there is no editor. Same on my local computer. I set the cookies under my privacy section to the lowest setting so all cookies are read and still no editor. I presume I do not have be logged into your site to view the editor?? Correct ?? Somehow in a way I do not understand its my browser thats the problem. If you have any othre thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks so much for your help. Mark

Anonymous

Anonymous
I enabled scripting errors in IE to see if any errors were being generated and I get the following scripting error alert "Problems with this web page may prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly ....." "Line: 261 Char: 29 Error: Object Expected Code:0 URL: www.thehelpgeeks.com/weblog/public_html/submit.php I tried the same on my local machine and same scripting error generated .

Anonymous

Anonymous
I'm using the same version as you, IE 6.02800.1106.xpxp2.0303422-1633 and the htmlarea comes up just fine, no errors. I have the browser set to medium for both security and privacy settings. Even with script debugging enabled I get zero errors. Perhaps running to windowsupdate.com site and see if any updates may help and check your browser advanced tab settings. Also, empty your browser cache. Restart IE. I have had cases where using the browser buttons to delete the cache is not good enough. You must delete it all manually. Example, Exit IE, goto CBig Grinocuments and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsTemporary Internet Files and delete all files, all directories beneath it.

cenithx

Anonymous
I get the same \"Object Expected\" error.. and in my error.log file on my server it\'s saying that i\'m missing a file called \"editor.js\".. Was that file supposed to come with geeklog? My editor seems to work.. I have all the formatting buttons and they DO insert code into reply boxes.. but I still get the errors.

cenithx

Anonymous
Ignore my post, found the problem. It\'s always the stupid little things that you miss that cause the big problems Big Grin

emagin

Forum User
Regular Poster
Using IE 6 and it works fine for me. Make sure to add your site to TRUSTED SITES (double click bottom right of IE bar, and add your site to the list) One problem I am having is this: When I go to EDIT a story using HTML area, the original content is not there. The Summary and Body sections are empty. Any ideas what I can check?

GPaul

Forum User
freakingout
I am glad to see that you found your problem and are able to use the HTMLArea editor. I am very sorry for getting into the thread and droping off the face of the earth. I have been trying to get HTMLArea3 Beta to work on my test server at home and have been pulling out my hair. I also whant to thank everyone else for helping you after I dropped the ball.

g.paul Oops!
g.paul

Harold

Anonymous
I just got HTMLarea to work with GeekLog and it works great!!
I did have a problem at first, but it was just the "_editor_url" path, I needed to change it to "./htmlarea/". Then when I added it to the Forum the path would not work again, I had to use the fully qualified path, then everything worked.

I only have one problem left, I can not get the images to work in the Story side, the Forum side works fine. It seems to strip the image tag before it gets saved. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the good work!!

emagin

Forum User
Regular Poster
Has anyone here gotten it to work with the latest V3b of htmlarea?

Also after the security patches (or CVS of latest code, esp. clean theme) the 2.x htmlarea still works, but the formatting (bold, underline, color) of text does not stick and always gets wiped out.

jlhughes

Forum User
Quote by emagin: Also after the security patches (or CVS of latest code, esp. clean theme) the 2.x htmlarea still works, but the formatting (bold, underline, color) of text does not stick and always gets wiped out.

The latest versions of Geeklog's config.sys changed the way allowed HTML was specified. You'll need to modify config.sys to add the specific font attribute that HTMLarea uses.

jlhughes

Forum User
Quote by jlhughes: The latest versions of Geeklog's config.sys changed the way allowed HTML was specified. You'll need to modify config.sys to add the specific font attribute that HTMLarea uses.

That should be config.php.

Here's an example of what I have on a site where I use HTMLarea 2.3 successfully:

Text Formatted Code

$_CONF['admin_html'] = array (

'a'    => array('href' => 1, 'title' => 1, 'target' => 1, 'class' => 1,
                    'name' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'accesskey' => 1,
                    'tabindex' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'p'     => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'align' => 1, 'style' => 1),
    'div' => array('align' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'span'  => array('class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'style' => 1),
    'table' => array('width' => 1, 'border' => 1, 'cellspacing' => 1,
                      'cellpadding' => 1, 'align' => 1, 'bordercolor' => 1,
                      'background' => 1, 'bgcolor' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'class' => 1,
                      'id' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'tr' => array('align' => 1, 'valign' => 1, 'bgcolor' => 1, 'bordercolor' => 1,
                  'class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'td' => array('width' => 1, 'height' => 1, 'colspan' => 1, 'rowspan' => 1,
                  'align' => 1, 'valign' => 1,  'scope' => 1, 'bgcolor' => 1,
                  'bordercolor' => 1, 'class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'th' => array('width' => 1, 'height' => 1, 'colspan' => 1, 'rowspan' => 1, 'align' => 1,
                  'valign' => 1,  'scope' => 1, 'bgcolor' => 1, 'bordercolor' => 1,
                  'class' => 1, 'id' => 1, 'style' => 1, 'title' => 1),
    'caption' => array('align' => 1,  'valign' => 1,  'class' => 1,  'id' => 1,  
                       'style' => 1,  'title' => 1),
    'img' => array( 'src' => 1,  'alt' => 1,  'name' => 1,  'id' => 1,  'width' => 1,  
                   'height' => 1,  'hspace' => 1,  'vspace' => 1,  'border' => 1,  'align' => 1,
                   'lowsrc' => 1,  'class' => 1,  'style' => 1,  'title' => 1,  'longdesc' => 1),
    'strong' => array( 'class' => 1,  'id' => 1,  'style' => 1,  'title' => 1),
    'font' => array('face' => 1,  'size' => 1,  'point-size' => 1,  'color' => 1,  
                    'class' => 1,  'id' => 1,  'style' => 1,  'title' => 1),
    'u' => array( 'class' => 1,  'id' => 1,  'style' => 1,  'title' => 1),
    'blockquote' => array('cite' => 1,  'class' => 1,  'id' => 1,  'style' => 1,  
                          'title' => 1)
);

emagin

Forum User
Regular Poster
This is perfect! Thank you for that clarification, works like a charm, htmlarea here we go again. Now I wonder about 3.0b changes. Hope those can be gotten someday, looks really nice, especially the spell checker

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:29 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content