I've created a Plugin that lets you to turn your geeklog site into a monthly newsletter.
It consists of:
- an additional column in the stories table: issue_id
- a new table: gl_issues
- a block that lists the stories that are for "this month's issue
- a block with a dropdown that let's you select a previous (or future issue)
- a modification to the main index.php that restricts the stories displayed to those that are for the selected or current issue only.
- a modification to the storyeditor to permit assignment of a story to an issue.
Each Issue works like a static page in that it contains "content" that is displayed as the frontpage.
Only one Issue can be active at any given time - the admin part of the plugin enforces this by displabling ALL issues before enabling one.
I've just finished the coding and testing and I'm going live with it tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll be further modifying it to ensure that my code changes are completely modular and in sync with the geeklog gods' coding style.
I'm wondering how much interest there may be in this type of plugin - I'll guage my packaging effort on responses.
As always - thanks to the creators of geeklog!