Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 07:53 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

GL File Managment Module Released

efarmboy

Forum User
After many weeks of effort and testing, I have completed my development of the Geeklog File Management Module.

There was no available GL module that had the user and admin features that I was looking for. This module is great for managing downloads, or any format of file that you would want to share or store on your website. It is well suited for the hobby sites and corporate Intranet/Portal sites.

This module and others that I have developed are now available online at my website here.

read on for more details

Some features include:

1. Create any number of categories and sub categories
  2. Include images or thumbnails for categories and files (optional)
  3. Able to upload files using file browser interface
  4. Ability for users to submit file requests and admin control to approve or delete request
  5. Complete admin module - Add/Modify/Delete of categories and files
  6. Able to move files to other categories
  7. Additional file description fields
  8. File Rating and reporting - admin can delete votes
  9. Delete category and file functions will remove file and associated thumbnail images
  10. Automatic flagging of popular and new files
  11. Filesize determined on upload and stored with file details
  12. Configuration variables can be viewed and edited
  13. Users can report broken links - includes admin feature for viewing and administrating broken link reports
  14. TOP Ten Report by category
  15. Configureable access options:
    1. Only specific users in DocMgmt-user group
    2. All registered users
    3. All users (annonymous access)
    4. Enable User Uploads or only via admin menu

Module Design Notes:

• Integrated into GL's security - create two new security groups - general user and admin level user
  • Optional config setting to allow or restrict user access
  • Seperate tables but security and reports will access GL tables as required
  • Integrated to use all GL SQL Database calls and Common template and block display management routines
  • Configureable styles for template control
  • Code written to follow GL style
  • Easy Install directions

Enjoy,
    Blaine

Anonymous

Anonymous
    I can't open the file Frown I tried winzip and winrar, could you put it in a different format?

Euan

Forum User
    Me too. Can't open - never heard of tar.z (tried changing extension with no success).
    -- Heather Engineering
    -- No job too small

Euan

Forum User
    Okay, I take it all back. One minute on Google is all you need. If you are using Windows commander (http://www.ghisler.com/ - the best ftp/file management program there is) then you can easily add the plugin to handle .Z files from http://www.unusualworks.com/zplugin/index.htm Euan.
    -- Heather Engineering
    -- No job too small

efarmboy

Forum User
    A file with the .Z extension indicated it is compressed. I had tried it originally myself and winzip understood it. Anyway, I've uncompressed it and it's just a .tar file right now. Maybe should have changed the extension to .tgz or .tz which is a tar file compressed with the GNU zip as well.

Euan

Forum User
    Working perfectly at http://euans.net/. Thanks!
    -- Heather Engineering
    -- No job too small

Ectropian

Forum User
    Chatty
    I'm pretty new at GL, and have only been running it for a month now. But it would seem that better installation instructions would be a must for editing sensitive .php fils. For instance: "Within the function COM_showTopics() - at approx line 1125, add the following lines at the end of the function before the return. I have added four new lines only - this is to add the two menu items" "Note: Add necessary spaces to indent code for formating as required." I have NO idea what line is line number 1125, and have no idea how code should be indented/formatted to make this function run properly. Would someone please post the entire function, formatted properly so that ignorant users like myself (and half of the GL future community) will have an easier installation process. Thanks. Btw, this function does not work properly right now, and i will not be able to use it untill I have it formatted properly.
    --Ted(Ectropian)

Ectropian

Forum User
    Chatty
    My appologies to efarmboy for my rudeness. I did get the function working finally. However the first time I installed it, I really messed up something. Lucky for me, I followed step #0 to the "T" Smile My point was not to annoy people, but simply to help others understand that GL is going to be Huge. And being Huge means that it must be as simple as possible. Whenever a function is rewritten/modified, it is important to think like a mindless end-user. A simple conversion statement could be : Replace "function COM_showTopics() ... blah blah" with "fuction COM_showTopics() ... blah blah blah.. addition here.. </end>" Here's your brain on drugs...Any questions? $me == Ectropian
    --Ted(Ectropian)

Ectropian

Forum User
    Chatty
    Well, once again, it frelled up. Figured out where. When I try to add Security Groups to the groups, My db is gone, caput, blah. cannot even load the initial index. the only thing that bring it back is removing the db and restoring it. Any ideas? btw.. there is no support on #geeklog, so don't go there. everyone sleeps 24/7 it seems.
    --Ted(Ectropian)

efarmboy

Forum User
    > I have NO idea what line is line number 1125, and have no idea how code should be indented/formatted to make this function run properly. TO be honest, if you are uncomfortable even indenting lines in the code to line it up properly then maybe you really should not try modifying the code. Not everyone has the same version of Geeklog and others have made changes. So I can't just have you replace the whole section of code in the function. I'm trying to add a feature not break working code. For the same reason, the line# has to be approx - it's a guide. With respect to the directions: I actually say: > step 3.1 Within the function COM_showTopics() - at approx line 1125, add the following lines at the end of the function before the return. It's pretty clear - I tell you the function and approx line# to find the function. I also tell you where to ADD THE LINES - at the end of the function before the return. I don't know how much clearer I can write this.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:53 am.

• Normal Topic
    • Sticky Topic
    • Locked Topic
    • New Post
    • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    • Locked Topic W/ New Post
    •  View Anonymous Posts
    •  Able to post
    •  Filtered HTML Allowed
    •  Censored Content