Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 10:12 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Interesting Webchat Solution

efarmboy

Forum User
I've seen a few webchat tools integrated into GL that are really separate apps or require a download but are not nicely integrated.

Check out the service offered by ChatFiles.com

This hosted service is free and allows you to create a chatroom for up to 10 users. It will provide you with the 2 lines of HTML and javascript that you can very easily place into a staticpage - which is then shown automatically in your header.

You can still have the left and right blocks wrap around the client chat window but left only is best.

This is a very fast client and looks integrated. Each chatroom is created with a unique userid - setup when you register. The best part that I liked is that other sites can use the same chatroom ID. If they do, they will be chatting in the same room. Very cool - like an IRC chat room in that way.

Blaine

Anonymous

Anonymous
I checked it out, and it has got cool looks, the best i have seen so far. The best part is it private messaging window, you can stop others from popping up window on your system, but you can still pop up windows on other's system and have a private chat.

maximus

Anonymous
Hmmm feature... Bonuses: *lower server load *easy to maintain. *pretty *Smileys (ok, I love smileys and wish I had them. Sue me.) Negatives *RH Linux i386, most recent JRE, Mozilla..... couldn't run it. *Longish load time *no usage logging (that I could see) *limited in rooms and users till you pay. All in all, it's like everything else and comes down to a matter of taste. I'd say if there's more than the two choices I am currently aware of, explore, try many of them, and see what you like.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:12 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content