Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 05:21 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Cannot connect to page

ola_one

Forum User
These are the steps that I took. I am a real novice at this, I just could not get geeklog to work with Apache, PHP and MySql. These are all running on win2000 Advanced Server. MySql is running without a root user password for now as well. The following are the steps that I took... I downloaded geeklog 1.3.7sr2. I then used WinRAR to unpack it. The instruction says that winzip corrupts the files sometimes. The next thing was that I copied the public_html directory(folder) into the htdocs directory. Should this have been the files inside the folder or should I have copied the whole folder? I tried to edit my config.php to show path, and I think maybe this is where my problem lies. I only tried to edit two areas because that is what the installation instruction said. The 2 areas are: $_CONF[\'path_html\'] and the second one is $_CONF[\'path\'] In the 2 situations, I was supposed to write out the path and I thought I did. The path to the first one is C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/Htdocs/public_html The Path to the second is C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/Geeklog After I finished this, all I was supposed to do was edit lib-common.php which I thought I also did. This path is to point to the location of the config.php The config.php is in the Geeklog directory which means that the path is the same as the second path above. I then need to install Geeklog with my browser by navigating to: http://yourgeeklogsite/admin/install/install.php When I put localhost instead of yourgeeklogsite, I got the page cannot be found, and when I left yourgeeklogsite, I still got page cannot be found. There is definitely something wrong here, please help. The config.php file looked really confusing to me so I am thinking that that is where I screwed up. Please help!!!

DTrumbower

Forum User
Quote by ola_one:
The next thing was that I copied the public_html directory(folder) into the htdocs directory. Should this have been the files inside the folder or should I have copied the whole folder?

You can just copy the files.

I only tried to edit two areas because that is what the installation instruction said. The 2 areas are: $_CONF['path_html'] and the second one is $_CONF['path']

In the 2 situations, I was supposed to write out the path and I thought I did.

The path to the first one is C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/Htdocs/public_html

This should be C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/Htdocs

If you didn't copy the public_html directory, you don't need it in your path.

The Path to the second is C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/Geeklog

Did you copy the non-public_html files into this directory?

You also need to modify this parm in the config file. _CONF['site_url']

Dwight

ola_one

Forum User
Thanks a lot DTrumbower... I will try and copy the files into my htdocs then... I just thought that htdocs represents the document root and that the public_html should be copied as a folder. I will go into public_html and copy everything into htdocs. The second path is as is (I unpacked the tarball into this directory and renamed it as Geeklog - it came as geeklog-1.3.7sr2). But since I copied public_html into the htdocs, do I need to delete the folder from the geeklog directory? Now regarding the third step, my _CONF[\'site_url\'], is my url supposed to be localhost? I have not used anything else as my webserver name. So when I edit that, is it supposed to be localhost or 127.0.0.1 or something else? Thank you greatly in advance...

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:21 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content