Welcome to Geeklog Tuesday, January 25 2022 @ 03:25 am EST

Geeklog Forums

Language problems...


Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292

...but almost there. Just installed Geeklog at g-comm.net.

I have to make this a multi-lingual site - main languages will be Japanese and English, secondary will be Korean and Chinese plus other European languages. The Classic and ClearBlue skins work with Japanese, but none of the others I have do so at the moment - can anyone give me some pointers on what files to change to enable this? I already tried fiddling with the charset= in the header file, but no luck.

Thanks for any help!

Euan


-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany

In Geeklog 1.3.5, there is still a lot of hard-coded English text. Some of the themes have the "Get Published" etc. texts hard-coded, too. Compare the header.thtml files with the themes where it works and you will see the usage of variables (in curly brackets) for those texts.

The next version of Geeklog will resolve these issues (I hope). I have moved all the hard-coded texts I could find within the Geeklog code to the language files. See also this story I submitted some time ago.

bye, Dirk

P.S. If you are creating new translations, be sure to subscribe to our new geeklog-translations mailing list! All the important announcements regarding translations and localisation of Geeklog are posted there.

 Quote

Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292
Thanks for the hints - I'll have a look once I have all the components working. I need a photo gallery and a forum - Gallery is proving a bit of a hassle. I installed it and it was working fine, but I can't get it to work in Geeklog. The last error I get is Fatal error: Call to undefined function: com_siteheader() in /home/gcomm/public_html/gallery/html_wrap/wrapper.header on line 45 I got rid of a load of other problems cleaning whitespace out of files. My system: OS: Linux Kernel version: 2.4.18-grsec-1.9.4 Apache version: 1.3.23 (Unix) PERL version: 5.006001 MySQL version: 3.23.45 Geeklog 1.3.5 If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Euan. PS regarding language packs, before I get someone to waste time translating stuff that will be useless in a few weeks, can anyone give me a timescale to G2? In return, I should be able to offer Korean, Chinese and Japanese versions of a language pack. E.
-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292
Okay, thought so. I'd tried adding a require_once("../lib.common.php") but couldn't work out where to put it until I found this link. Just goes to show you should read the forum first... Euan.
-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany

I wasn't talking about Geeklog 2, but simply about the next Geeklog release which will go by the version number 1.3.6. It should come out in the not-too-distant future ...

As for language packs: There already is a fairly (but not quite) up-to-date Japanese language file (and someone is still working on it). No Korean or Chinese, though.

Check out CVS for the available languages.

bye, Dirk

 Quote

Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292
I just tried the Japanese language pack on this site - all text disappears! I think it would be a good idea if someone checked it...
-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany

You are running Geeklog 1.3.5, right? That version should work (and does for me). Just make sure that you send the correct character encoding with it.

Or you might want to try the version from CVS which has been updated a bit ...

bye, Dirk

 Quote

Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292
I meant on www.geeklog.net ... setting to Japanese gives Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in /home/groups/g/ge/geeklog/language/japanese.php on line 149 at the top of the page and no text inserted from the language file. shift-jis, euc, autodetect all the same.
-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany

Oh, I see. For some reason, the site was still using an older version that was missing some commas (hence the parse errors). I've uploaded the version from CVS now and it seems to work (well, at least it doesn't give any errors - I can't read Kanji ...).

bye, Dirk

 Quote

Status: offline

Euan

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 22/04/02
Posts: 292
Japanese looks fine to me. Cheers, Euan.
-- Heather Engineering -- No job too small
 Quote

Anonymous

Anonymous
I got the same problem before , now i seem fixed it. If you using php and apache web server , check those config files cause the default config might be set the default charset to ISO or western , special apache , then you just need to do is delete it and restart web server , you should can see your language. If still fail , just change the header.thtml charset to your language then should be ok. Hope this help. And i m almost done of chinese BIG5 translation , i will post it later on. OPPS
 Quote

All times are EST. The time is now 03:25 am.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content