Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 02:07 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Imagine 100 geeklogs in one server

qgil

Forum User
Junior
We are building a server to provide open source collaborative tools to social projects. The idea is to offer a free package of basic tools to cover the main needs of non-tech collectives, and then offer paid services for consultancy, customization and bigger projects. We are looking for a main tool that serves as a base of administration. A tool easy to install for us server admins and easy to administrate for the projects's admins. A tool able to integrate applications saving trouble of different admin areas, users registering many times and all thos things that generate frustration in non-geek users (and many not-so-non-geek as well) Wink Geeklog would be possibly the perfect candidate (we only miss today a wiki plugin and few modules that actually are not so essential), but there is a point that maybe lead us to another CMS such as ¿PostNuke? What do we do when we have 100 GL's installed in a server?Do you have any experience of multiple tools working in the same box? We have kind of fear of the lots of requests that the MySQL server would need to respond, but this is not the main issue. The question is how to upgrade versions or introduce patches to all the GLs you have in the server. We won't need to share databases such as users or articles, since every collective would have their own weblog, without any share of users or articles or... But, is it there a way to make all thos frontends rely on the same installation, in a way that any upgrade introduced would apply to all the instances? It seems that PostNuke does, and if it is complex to build this system on GL then we will possibly have no other option than step to PN. I hope there is a way because -personally- I really like GL. (if you're interested in this project there is a rough non-updated overview <a href="http://www.openmute.org">here</a>Wink

James Fryer

Forum User
Junior
I am going to try to do this when I have a bit of time to spend on it. My approach is going to use one central copy of GL. I will create a directory for each site, then use symbolic links pointing at files within public_html. The layout and images/articles (etc.) directories will need to be distinct for each site. The contents of the layout dir can link to a central repository of themes. There will be some thought needed over logos and other site-specific content. I'm going to use the URL to select the config file (there was an article about this a couple of months ago, sadly I've lost it.) Hopefully the above can be written as a script so a new site can be created from the command line. The script would need to be integrated with the installation scripts, and upgrades would be a problem because the upgrade script would need to be called on each site. I haven't looked at the install stuff yet, so I don't know how hard this will be.

qgil

Forum User
Junior
One more question (while the answers come, I hope). How GL2 would fall into this? (and when do you expect to have a first release of GL2) ((just to let you know, after further testing we see that an alternative wouldn't be PostNuke but XOOPS because of the object oriented thing and because it seems that they take take quality in developements and security as serious as, for instance, here. Also the community efort and the existance of a mid term goal is a point -as it is here))

Anonymous

Anonymous
So this would only work on a *nix server?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Unless they've added symbolic links to Windows, it will only work on a unix. JF.

qgil

Forum User
Junior
Our server runs with Debian GNU/Linux.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Sorry, should have been a reply to a message further up the thread.

qgil

Forum User
Junior
I know we can't request an answer from the core developers but... any answer from anyone used to work with the GL code will be useful. Smile We have some budget for this project and we have a PHP programmer that could work on this... But before assuming this risk we would need some well founded opinions and -if possible- some advice. Thanks again.

Anonymous

Anonymous
PostNuke is not designed by default to run multi-sites off one codebase. You have to make some manual modifications to do this. The same applies to GL. The trick they use could also be used here with obviously modifications to it. Running 100 sites off one codebase though is not smart unless they all are low traffic ones otherwise you'll most likely see performance problems no matter what CMS you use.

James Fryer

Forum User
Junior
How does PostNuke handle this? What is the \'trick\' they use -- is it similar to what I described above, or something different?

Mark

Anonymous
Quote by James Fryer: How does PostNuke handle this? What is the \'trick\' they use -- is it similar to what I described above, or something different?
I think this may be the most comprehensive document on how it can be done for theirs: Multi-site for PostNuke A lot of newbies though still have problems setting it up even with this much detail.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
IMHO, you could do this easily with carefully crafted symlinks. You would have a single directory that has the base GL code minus config.php and, of course, theme directories. That directory would be symlinked to by all individual GL installs. From there I would think this would be a snap. Upgrading would be a tad more difficult but only slightly so. How does GL2 fit into this? GL will support affinity sites (e.g. sites related to one another under on install, e.g. a corporate site with department sites running under it). Not sure about totally unrealated sites such as your example or the example of the numerous ISP\'s cropping up offering Geeklog.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:07 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content