Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:41 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

DB Backup ERROR: Backups Directory not accessible.

EsmereldaPea

Anonymous

Okay, I got this error the first time I tried to backup my database:
DB Backup ERROR: Directory /usr/home/username/geeklog/backups/ is not accessible.

Realized the directory wasn't there. Tried it again. Same Error.

Changed permissions on directory to 777. Same Error.

Searched posts here - checked my mysqldump path (it was wrong, I changed it). Same Error.

I am stumped. Using GeekLog v1.3.7sr2.

Agent X20

Forum User
Junior
Try manually invoking mysqldump using the db/user/password from your config.php file to see if you can get it to work. If you can, then you've got a path/permissions problem still. (You should be able to find the call in the php to mimic the exact parameters used). I wouldn't recommend (and I think the install guidelilnes say the same thing) having your backups folder world readable. I've got the backups folder set to a group that my user under which geeklog is installed and apache both belong to, to allow the apache/php/mysqldump processes to write into the folder. I had a similar problem the other day and fixed it without too much trouble - and I hope this helps.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I just set it to 777 to test, so I wouldn't have any permission excuses. But, I will try your suggestions. I was trying to do a backup before I installed the weather block, but I got impatient and did it anyway without backup - nothing on the site yet anyway 'cept test stuff. Thx

Anonymous

Anonymous
What was important in my case, is to refresh your site after you are done with changes - browser kept old scripts cached ..

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have to add important point - look on path problems ONLY When it is an error with mysqldump, it gives you completely different error: Incorrect path or mysqldump utility not executable. Check $_DB_mysqldump_path definition in config.php. Variable currently defined as: /some/path/usr/bin/mysqldump But even though, geeklog will ask you to make a backup and not saying that folder is not accessible - look to your paths and permissions, mine problem was - provider prohibited me to CHMOD folders not within website, so I had to put backup folder inside fixmycomp.com site and then CHMOD it

Matthew Cox

Anonymous
I had the same problem. I was able to execute the dump from the command line with the same dbname/username info.

My ISP had restricted access on /usr/bin so that mysqldump could not be executed via a web initiated php script. I think this is related to the site requiring cgi wrappers for scripts that call system commands outside of the users home directory. My ISP also uses CPANEL with jailshell enabled which also may have something to do with this. This can be a pain but I am actually thankful because it is very good a preventing other "sour apple" users on the server from sabotaging my site intentionally or not.

Here's a hacked* solution that worked for me(requires shell access):

1. create a bin directory in your home directory
    ex. mkdir /home/username/bin
  2. chmod the directory at least 750 but you may need to chmod to 755 depending on the server
    ex. chmod 755 /home/username/bin
  3. copy the mysqldump utility into the new folder and chmod it
    ex. cp /usr/bin/mysqldump /home/username/bin/ ; chmod 755 /home/username/bin/mysqldump
  4. finally, update the $_DB_mysqldump_path in your geeklog config.php to /home/username/bin/mysqldump

*The caveat is there is a potential problem if the mysql installation gets upgraded because the upgrade will not have included your copy of the mysqldump utility. I tried to fix this problem by creating a soft link in my bin directory to the /usr/bin/mysqldump but that did not work. So if the "do backup" feature suddenly stops working one day just copy the new version into your bin directory.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:41 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content