Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 11:24 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Cant install geeklog on lycos.nl (bigdo99@hotmail.com)

Anonymous

Anonymous
I can't install it.Can anyone explai how i must install it members.lycos.nl/bigdo99 my email bigdo99@hotmail.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

It would help if you could give some more information, e.g. what exactly is the problem? What did you try? Which error message do you get? etc.

Since you seem to be from the Netherlands, you may be able to read the German instructions on http://mitglied.lycos.de/geeklog/. That's a site I set up once just to proof that it can be done.

Btw, there's no need to post this 4 times ...

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous

I am assuming that Lycos or "Tripod Lycos" or "Lycos Tripod" or whatever they call themselves, provide a technologically identical service for the Netherlands as they do for their cousins in the rest of Europe. I speak from personal experience with the tripod.lycos.co.uk flavour of Lycos.

You may already know that Lycos provide their own restricted version of PHP called PHP4U. In my eyes, this suggests that you should immediately be on the alert for "non standard" PHP features which might cripple some Geeklog functions in one way or another. Secondly, they have recently been experiencing difficulties of their own in terms of service provision. I hear a voice saying: "If the restrictions won't put you off, the level of service might". This chap really sums up the last couple of days, I think.

While I personally have not [bothered to] installed Geeklog under a free Lycos account, I have spent an interesting hour browsing through their PHP/MySQL forum reading about some of the restrictions they've put in place. You ought to see the number of messages screaming for help. It's painful just to look at the headings alone.

For example, with reference to Geeklog you will find that portal blocks won't work under a Lycos hosted account because our friends have disabled the opening of URL-named files (irrespective of whether the URL is for your own Lycos site or an external web site). Take a look for the PHP4U limitations for a list of the published restrictions.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't put you off. You can still get a reasonable amount of useful mileage out of a Lycos hosted web site. I guess what I am saying is to prepare yourself mentally for the [frustrating] task that is to install Geeklog or any other non-trivial piece of software under the sometimes-up-sometimes-down cold, wet nose of that innocent-looking black dog, also known as "je beste vriend op internet" ! :-)

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Anonymous

Anonymous
The company's name is Terra Lycos. They are headquartered in Spain. Tripod is one of their subsidaries. Like many net companies, their revenues have dropped significantly over the past couple of years causing them to cut a large percentage of their employees. They never really had good service but IMO now it's totally bad. They probably don't care if anyone can run a CMS/weblog on their servers because at least in the U.S. they offer a free weblog of their own for paid accounts.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:24 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content