Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 01:06 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Using one of those cool little java menus..

Anonymous

Anonymous
I am using the Menu Plugin which I really like but I want to be able to add something a little more dynamic. Would one of these cool little java applets work inside a Geeklog Block? The kind which expand and contract, or blow sub menus out the side? Thanks..

rawdata

Forum User
Go ahead and try it. I know Flash works fine in GL blocks. I don't see why a Java applet shouldn't work too.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Well, my first test failed. The block didn't produce errors, it just didn't show anything. Do I need to add something to the config.php to allow javascript inside a block?

alinford

Forum User
Regular Poster
This works just fine, you just need to add a blank block and then line the menu up with it. Here is an example on a site I am working on.
My Site
Just hover over the menu items on the left to see what it does. The menu itself is full of bad links, so it doe not work.

jhk

Forum User
Chatty
That's JavaScript - not Java. Right? [A bit like mistaking MySQL and MyLittlePony. :)]

rawdata

Forum User
Oh, you mean javascript. That's a different beast -- it isn't compiled. As far as I know, Geeklog filters this out so it can't be used inside blocks. There's probably a way around it. I'll see if I can figure it out but this is a dangerous capability which you shouldn't give to others because they could royally screw up your entire site and all your data. In the meantime check out ailford's page. He's got one working on top of a block, but it gives the same effect.

rawdata

Forum User
I take back what I said here. I just tried it out, and Javascript works fine in blocks too. What doesn't work are the onXXXX events which is probably why you're having problems with the menu script. Apparently, these events were purposely disabled because of cross-script security vulnerabilities. I think it's best they be left disabled because otherwise you'll be opening your site to security holes. Alinford has a good workaround...use that.

Chalkhillian

Forum User
Chatty
Javascript and Java both work ok. Try java from a staticpage at Lake Applet and javascript on Curran Family Home where javascript is used in the 'Make Yourself at Home' block where it will use javascript to add the site to your favourites list.

alinford

Forum User
Regular Poster
I assumed because of the way he described it that he was talking about a javascript menu even though he was calling it a java applet.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:06 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content