Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 03:31 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

sendmail on Mac OS X

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hi there, I got GL installed pretty easy on my Apple TiBook running OS 10.2 and like it quite a lot. I have some difficulties with email though: First, nothing worked and users could not receive their first password. Then I configured and started the OS X built-in SMTP and this did the job. Everything worked fine. But now I am concerned about having an open SMPT-Server running on my machine and I tried to restrict access to it to prevent abuse. This crashed the SMTP and I couldn't reanimate it yet. My question is: Do I really really need to run the SMPT-Server on my machine. I set up an other GL-Site on Windows and just put the SMTP of my ISP in the php.ini. Unfortunally this did NOT work on OS X. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

sendmail is all you need to run locally. The default setup will only accept mails from the local machine, so you should be fine. Just follow one of the many instructions available on the web (e.g. this one).

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
notebook as a server? Defeats the purpose, no?

47ronin

Forum User
If you really insist on running the site on a laptop.. whatever floats your boat. In any case, try using Postfix Smile Either compile it yourself or use Fink to install it. Or, if you want to use your ISP's smtp.. you can fool Geeklog by installing smtpclient-1.0.0 (sourceforge), which should intercept all requests to send out mail and relay it to your ISP's smtp server. Right now I use it on my Jaguar webserver to alert me via text msg (using my ISP's smtp) in the event of my Apache or Postfix going down.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:31 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content