Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:33 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

People can't vote in the poll

Anonymous

Anonymous
I get a "your vote was submitted" message, but I never see the results. It happens both to registered people and to unregistered ones. Anyway, I look around in phpmyadmin and it DOES accept the votes. They just sit there. Why doesn't the poll ever get updated? I tried many IDs and nothing works. I've even once deleted the records so it's a problem of same IP trying to vote or anything like that. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous

Anonymous
Is the voting being administered in Florida by any chance? :-) You say the poll doesn't get updated yet the database is showing the votes as being recorded. Could it be that your browser is displaying the same cached page all the time?

Anonymous

Anonymous
No, I updated my cache AND asked other people to try. It just never gets updated.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Why don't you post a link to this non-updating poll

Anonymous

Anonymous
sure. http://lior.weissbrod.com

Anonymous

Anonymous
sure. http://lior.weissbrod.com

rawdata

Forum User
I think you may be hitting a software bug, but I can't reproduce this on my system so I can't figure out what's really causing it. When someone votes, it's suppose to print this: $retval .= COM_startBlock($LANG07[1]) . $LANG07[2] . ' ' . $qid . COM_endBlock() . COM_pollResults($qid); which equates to "Your vote was saved for the poll (pollname)" then below this is supposed to be a display of the poll results. For some reason on yours, it looks like whenever someone votes qid is getting the value of pollname&aid=# instead of just the plain pollname. Without inserting some debugging, I have no idea why it would be doing this.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I haven't changed the programming, but if you tell me which file that statement is in, I'll look at it to make sure those lines are right. In any case, thanks.

rawdata

Forum User
That particular statement is in the function pollsave which is located in pollbooth.php. It's possible you might have a corrupted file. You can try uploading pollbooth.php and lib-common.php (which also has some functions for the poll) to see if it fixes the problem. You're bug though is pretty weird.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Guess what? Solved! Well, kind of.. It turns out the ID has to be above at least 5 letters. "time" is 4 :-) I tried "timer" and other varations and now it works! How strange is that? Looks like I've stumbled over a real bug. Should I report it ("please support 4 or less letters IDs"Wink? :-)

rawdata

Forum User
I just set the ID in different polls to one, two, three, and four characters. They all worked for me. I wonder why yours needs to be five.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Have you tried the id "time", though?

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:33 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content