Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 01:03 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog won't send mail

Anonymous

Anonymous
I'm not sure if this is really a geeklog problem. I think it's a sendmail problem, but I'll ask here anyway. We have an new machine for our intranet running a default RedHat 8 install as intranet.ourdomain.com. Users who register with some_email@someotherdomain.com get their registration email just fine, but anyone who uses some_email@ourdomain.com does not get the registration email. We set a test copy of geeklog up on an unamed (not with a subdomain name) laptop with the exact same sendmail config and it works fine there. Any ideas what we have to do?

Anonymous

Anonymous

It certainly does sound like a problem with sendmail rather than Geeklog. Of course, this is based on minimal information, but here's somehing worth trying if you have a moment.

Set up a new user with email address: some_email@intranet.ourdomain.com. Note the use of the RH8.0 machine's fully qualified domain name. Report back either way if any mail from Geeklog manages to get through.

You can also try the command 'mailq' to show the status of the RH80 machine's mail queue. If all emails have been sent, mailq should immediately report back nothing. Repeat this for your mailserver (assuming it's not the RH8.0 Box). This way, you can at least see where the logjam might be.

Good luck

ndarlow

Forum User
Junior
I'm not using Red Hat so please excuse me if I get the paths wrong. If you want mail delivered locally for ourdomain.com then you should make sure ourdomain.com is listed in /etc/mail/local-host-names (this file used to be called sendmail.cw). If you want mail for ourdomain.com to be relayed by the machine then you should make sure ourdomain.com is listed in /etc/mail/relay-domains. For a general purpose sendmail installation where ourdomain.com is virtualhosted on the same machine you would install both of these settings. Regards, Neil Darlow M.Sc.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:03 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content