Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 07:10 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

User E-mail Virus detected!

rflancher

Forum User
I had some trouble setting up my Geeklog site to send e-mail, and I eventually found that the subject line of e-mail coming from geeklog, is detected by the Declude Anti-Virus package (Symantec) as a virus. When attempting to log onto THIS site, with a known address that is behind a server that is using Declude, I received the following e-mail instead of my login information: The Declude Virus software on xxxx.com has reported that you were sent an E-mail from geeklog-develATlists.geeklog.net, containing the [Outlook 'CR' Vulnerability] virus in the [No attachment] attachment. The subject of the E-mail was "Geeklog: Your Account Information". The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined to prevent further damage. Headers Follow: [Deleted due to dangerous content] I found that I needed to remove the '\r' characters from the subject line for all the e-mails sent by Geeklog to get passed this virus checker.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Is there a reason you felt the need to post this notice twice? It's well known that Microsoft's software is riddled with holes. They are constantly patching their software up, but they seem very slow in fixing this problem.

I think the carriage return was added to lines because many on Windows servers had problems sending out emails when it was set only to a new line in the header. This may be a fix for that virus checker, but it may completely stop outgoing on some people's systems.

Microsoft needs to fix this hole in their Outlook software.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I posted it a first time because I was looking for help on setting up my site (hence I put it in the Help section). The second one was posted because the main Geeklog site was the one that sent me e-mail that "Had a virus". I understand that Microsoft has problems, but I also know that people don't like getting bogus virus messages in there e-mail. On top of the bogus message, I never got my login information for that account. So now there is a user on geeklog that can't access their account....I saw this a a bug so thought people might want to be informed that this could happen to them. I'm sorry I wasted 30 seconds of your day!

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:10 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content