Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 02:47 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Blocks

ckier

Forum User
Junior
I am very new to geeklog and I was wondering if somebody could explain to me how to add/remove blocks to my geeklog site. Thanks a lot, Christopher Kiernan (ckier@optonline.net)

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
There are 3 types of blocks: 1) Normal, these blocks hold raw HTML and text only 2) Portal. This is the type of block that allows you to import RSS/RDF/XML headlines from other websites. In short this supports new syndication. Do a Google search if you aren't clear on this. 3) Finally, the most complicated block is a PHP block. PHP blocks allow you to tie PHP code to a block so that dynamic content can be created. To create a Normal or Portal block in the administration section choose Blocks->New Block and type away. If you want a PHP block, edit lib-custom.php and create a function that will produce the dynamic content you are after. Then you would got into th administration section choose Blocks->New Block an select PHP block as the type and be sure to enter the function name you use for your custom function in lib-custom.php. Hopefully that is enough to get you started.---The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

ckier

Forum User
Junior
What do you mean the administration section? Where do choose new block?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Never mind, I figured it out. It seemsthat there was a problem during my installation of geeklog and the admin block wasn't showing up. Thanks for all your help. Sincerly, Christopher Kiernan

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:47 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content