Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 02:53 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Content Rating System

Page navigation

Nuke

Forum User
Chatty
First, a little self defense. The point of my submission that you are referring to was "Do some research prior to asking for help". It was aimed at those who verbally abuse open-source developers because they don't understand how to do X, or they wan't feature X. Too often the words "You must be American" are used in a negetive manner. When followed up with negetive material about what "Americans" do, it would seem obvious as to why I was angry. It's difficult for me not to be, for reasons that are way beyond the scope of this post. My comment about you posting anonymous comes from folks who use the feature to "hide". They don't want folks to know who they are. That is not the case with me. Those who are around me know me as Nuke. I am fairly well known in several of the communities I am apart of as "Nuke". That *IS* my identity. A person who uses an alias at least has provided SOME means of identifying himself in the community he is in. You have not. Most folks who engage in anonymous flaming have something to hide. Honestly, I've signed up at so many sites lately, I haven't been putting in profile information because I wasn't sure if I was even going to be around. I was saving time, and then when I decided on Geeklog, I forgot to go and complete my bio. Thanks for reminding me, although your method of reminding leaves much to be desired. =) At any rate, it appears I was wrong about your intentions with the post, and for that, I apologize. You mention something about Geeklog not being in other languages... Of course, the articles are not, but you can choose a different language to view it in, and much of the site will be translated at that point. (Not really translated... Just uses language files, which you probably already know.) What kind of translation did you have in mind? At any rate, getting the conversation back on track, I don't think a system of using "time in link" would work. First off, it's hard to measure accurately, and secondly, there's no telling if the user actually likes it or not. I will often read uninteresting posts just to get a feel for what's being talked about. Far better to have a person click the "Good" button, or however it's implimented. ---Nuke...
Nuke...

qgil

Forum User
Junior
Question: have you worked more on this? Even when it's true that in 95% of cases rating/karma systems are useless to select the good stuff, there may be a 5% in which this is appropriate. As "anonymous" said in the previous message, GL is far more than a weblog and it can be used as a whole CMS. So it's easy to imagine cases in which this feature would be very appropriate. A real example: We are planning to use GL to create a database of recommended works on literature, music, theater... So imagine I submit an entry about Sun Tzu's book "The Art of War" and I rate it with a 10 because I think it's an essential book. It doesn't matter how crap or good, how short or long my review about the book is, people will rate the book, not the review. And surely the review of contemporary books like "No logo" or "Empire" will get more hits (a good % of them from people coming directly via search engines) but it's still interesting to have "The Art of War" on the top of a listing if a bunch of people give it a 8-10. And maybe someone writes a great review about a Top-40 CD which is just OK, so the rate is only 5. The goal is to build selections of essential books, etc, thanks for the contributions of hundreds of people that can submit reviews, make comments on reviews AND ALSO rate whatever is featured. Another possible example: With a rating content system you might organize a poetry contest in your GL. Same with pictures, slogans, interviews... whatever. Briefly said, rating systems may work well when the universe of voters is defined (registered members better than just anyone) and also when it refers to dozens or hundreds of members (like many GLs have) instead of thousends of users (like Slashdot, etc). So, thank you to the GL developers to let the door open. nd thank you in advance to anyone with the time, skills and will to build this. :-)

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:53 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content