Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 01:04 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Site problem Help please

Anonymous

Anonymous
I've been working on a site for a while. The problem is...we've been submitting it to search engines for the last three months but we cannot get listed...on any search engine! Not anywhere...There must be a problem with the site and or the code that we've put into geeklog to generate our static pages?
Have a look at the site
  • www.indoncaster.com/index.php
    Any advice on why this is happening would be appreciated.

Dirk

Site Admin
    Admin

Did you submit www.indoncaster.com or www.indoncaster.com/index.php to the search engines? In case of the former, that shouldn't come as a surprise then ... There's simply nothing on that site (at least not on the front page) that could be of interest to search engines.

Have you looked at www.indoncaster.com in Lynx? That will give you a good idea what search engines will see. And they will see - nothing. The front page displays empty in Lynx. No links, no content, nothing.

Try the web tools at delorie.com. There's a Lynx simulator there as well as a search engine simulator.

In case you didn't know: Almost no search engine looks at meta keywords any more - too many sites have misused those. Or if they do look at them, they expect at least some of those to show up in the text of the site itself. But since you don't have any text ...

Also I noticed that Google has no links listed pointing to your site (search for "link:indoncaster.com"). Having links point to your site is very important to be listed on Google.

But the most important thing is to have some actual content (i.e. text!) on your site. Drop the splash screen and put some actual content there. Even on the Geeklog site, there isn't much that could be indexed. This site is up for three months now and still doesn't have any content?

Hope that gives you some ideas.

bye, Dirk

Creator

Forum User
    You sound a little... irritated, Dirk... Gee I wonder why...---L. Whitworth www.finiserv.com
    L. Whitworth

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Thanks Dirk, Yes, I've been working on the site for a while in my spare time and it's not really live yet. I'll take down the splash page as suggessted and the content should increase following the site launch. Thanks fo your help

Dirk

Site Admin
    Admin
    Hehe, yeah, I guess I got a bit carried away :-) But then again I just can't understand how someone can fail to see something so obvious for three months ... To the original poster: There was no offense intended by my comment. But you should really read up on how search engines work these days. bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:04 am.

• Normal Topic
    • Sticky Topic
    • Locked Topic
    • New Post
    • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    • Locked Topic W/ New Post
    •  View Anonymous Posts
    •  Able to post
    •  Filtered HTML Allowed
    •  Censored Content