Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 08:37 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Installing an Image Library

keystone

Forum User
Chatty
I've done searches on ImageMagick and netpbm and haven't found any instructions on how to install the image libraries for GL. I'm interesting in using the resizing capabilities as well as the Geekary. (Maybe these libraries are already installed when I installed GL 1.3.6) Can someone point me in the right direcion? Thanks, Bob

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
If your hosting environment allows you to run binaries, then the netpbm package is the easiest to install: Just get the correct package for your operating system (the one where your web server is running on), drop all the binaries in a directory and point Geeklog's $_CONF['path_to_netpbm'] variable to that path. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Let me caution you on this: While it is true that if your host lets you run binaries you could do what Dirk said (I on the other hand think that Imagemagick is easier to install and far more robust so there Razz ) for some reason some hosting environments treat these programs differently from just about any other binary out there. Don't ask me why, but they do. Lunarpages, just to name one, gets very upset if a webadmin installs IM or NetPBM. You should contact your host (if you are hosted that is) and ask them if they support IM or NP. Chances are that they already do. Also, some hosts disable the system() call in php. If you run the Geekary (or 4images, or just about any other gallery script that supports auto-thumbs) and you get an error that system() has been disabled for security reasons, you can modify the call to be a passthru() or (worst case because no error checking) shell_exec(). Just to let you know about that one.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I am with LunarPages. ImageMagick and NetPBM are installed but they have the exec command turned off. This is very sucky. What can I do?
I am new to all of this, but I was reading there are ways to make direct calls to ImageMagick so that exec commands (the ones which are blocked) are not required. Is this true? If it is..how tough would it be to reprogram it to use the aforementioned commands? SEE THIS LINK the version GDlib on the server makes all the pictures look grainy and does a horrible job compressing.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:37 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content