Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 02:33 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Is there a fix for Smooth-Blue CSS for NS4.x?

amckay

Forum User
Does anyone know of a CSS fix for Smooth-Blue so that it will work with Netscape 4.X browsers? I love this theme but may have to stop using it because of this.

Click Here to see what it looks like.

The guys at Pigstye gave me some tips on how to fix it, but I would need to have Netscape 4.x myself which I do not.

cheers,
-Alan

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I don't think there's an easy fix. On the one site where I use Smooth Blue as the default theme, I offered Classic as an alternative for Netscape 4 users ... Netscape 4 has just too many bugs in its CSS implementation. For example, it seems to interpret the keyword "transparent" as "black". The only thing I could think of is to hide the normal style sheet from Netscape 4 and make a second, much simpler, stylesheet just for that browser. You can do that by beating it with its own shortcomings, e.g. with the @import trick. I used that for my ClearBlue theme. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
The best fix is to not design for such a crappy ass old non standards compliant browser. Quite encouraging people to continue using that browser! Just my 2 cents Razz

amckay

Forum User
Last week a friend told me how my site was messed up, and it turned out he was using NS 4.79. I told him about how it was buddy with rendering and such. About an hour later he sent me email and said he'd found another website which did not render properly with NS 4.79 -- http://home.netscape.com/ !!!!! So I've decided not even to bother ;-)

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:33 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content