Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 01:58 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Owner, Group, Members, Anonymous

keystone

Forum User
Chatty
Is there a resource or posting that explains the security in geeklog? I'd like to better understand the relationships between Owner, Group, Members, Anonymous. I'm particularly interested (confused?) about the process of creating a new group. Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There isn't really any documentation for this, I'm afraid. However, the concept is basically the same as with a Unix file system: Every "object" (story, link, ...) has an owner and a group. The permissions to access an object depend on whether you're the owner or in that said group. Instead of the "rest of the world" on a Unix system, Geeklog has the "Members" and "Anonymous" settings, i.e. an additional level of separation. As for new groups, it really depends on what you want to do. I'll give an example: Let's say you have a sales department and you want them to have their own topic that only members of the sales department can see. You could then simply create a group called "Sales" - you don't need to select anything else in that form, just create a group of that name. Then you create a topic, say, "For Sale", and assign that to group "Sales", unchecking the Members and Anonymous flags. Now you only need to add all the members of your sales department to the "Sales" group and that's it. Stories posted under the "For Sale" topic would only be visible to your sales staff - other users of the site won't even see the topic. Hope that helps. bye, Dirk

keystone

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks, Dirk. Not being that familiar with Unix, your example was helpful and confirmed that I am on the right track with new groups I'm creating. Best Regards, Bob

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks, that was helpful for me too..... By the way, what is "draft"? Cheers, RJ

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You can mark a story as "draft" when it's not ready for publication yet. Stories with the draft flag set won't show up until you remove that flag. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks for the answer Dirk, becourse of you I have discovered great features in GL. Cheers, RL

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have added the Contacts Plugin and I want logged in Users to be able to view the contacts, but not add, edit or delete. I have unchecked the Anonymous box in the contacts settings, but now only the admin can view the contacts. How can I add this so that all users can see them?

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:58 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content