Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 01:49 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

owner and permissions for image files

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster

My GL site is hosted on phpwebhosting. I'm quite happy with the service, but there is one issue that I need some help with. All the images in the images/articles directory are owned by 'nobody', and many of them have permissions of '-rw-------'. This doesn't seem to cause any grief when viewing the site, but it means I can't get tar to read these files to make a backup. And phpwebhosting doesn't let users run chown either, so I can't change this stuff myself.

This doesn't happen on my test site, running on my computer, so it is something specific to the setup at phpwebhosting. I suspect I need to ask them to make some sort of change to my configuration, but I don't know what I need to get them to do.

I could get them to go in and change the owner and permissions for me, but I need to figure out why the owner and permissions are ending up this way so I can stop it from happening in the future. I haven't got a clue what the problem is. Can anyone give me any pointers?

I'm running GL 1.3.6, in a fairly standard installation. I do have the site in a sub-directory one level down from the www directory, but I don't think this is relevant here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Horton

Anonymous

Anonymous
Your files are being set with the 'nobody' owner because your webserver is running under that UID. It's a common security setup. Unfortunately it makes it difficult for you as the owner of the space to do much with your files. You should be able to use a php script to to trar the files since that would run as 'nobody'.

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
OK. Thanks for the idea. I found the part of the PHP on-line manual that talks about shell scripts, so I'll start puzlling through it. Kevin---Kevin
Kevin Horton

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:49 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content