Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 07:41 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

ISM for Geeklog?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Looking at the source code for the PHPGroupWare messenger plugin makes me think this would be great to have as a GL plugin. Somewhat like the Instant Messenger feature at DeskMod, Deviantart, and a whole bunch of other "arty" sites.

Somehow I don't think my PHP is really up to this sort of a conversion but perhaps someone else would like to have a go?

It doesn't look that difficult... honest :-)

efarmboy

Forum User
You may want to take a look at my latest version of Chatterblock that is being demo'ed on my site langfamily.ca.

This block will support three modes:

• Static Mode: Like the present shoutblock and Chatterblock
  • Scroller Mode: Use a CSS Div to add a scroller to view history
  • iframe - with auto refresh
  • The auto-refresh is the first Geeklog block that I'm aware of that allows only the block itself to refresh and not the complete page. In this mode, the block automatically updates and displays new messages. I've had it running for days wihout issue.

The block supports private messaging as well with an alert that will appear the next time the block is refreshed. The block has online config which currently is enabled for non-site admins as a demo while I finish the block.

Blaine

isol8

Forum User
    Regular Poster
    Hey Blaine, Have you considered an alert or popup if a user has new private messages. I know people tend to dislike popups, but some of my users don't see their private messages. The new colors and design will probably remedy that, as they are harder to miss with the new block. Just wondering about people's ideas on that.

efarmboy

Forum User
    Brian, I'm going to make this a configureable option as well. I agree, some may prefer it. Blaine

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:41 am.

• Normal Topic
    • Sticky Topic
    • Locked Topic
    • New Post
    • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    • Locked Topic W/ New Post
    •  View Anonymous Posts
    •  Able to post
    •  Filtered HTML Allowed
    •  Censored Content